DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

O-GPS2 Positioning Status Light Question

JoeOptics314

I just received a new O-GPS2 unit to replace my old O-GPS1 which I managed to lose somewhere. The the GPS Positioning Status light never goes green. In a clear open area, no trees or buildings it stays yellow (actually looks orange, but user manual says it is orange). Is this likely a defective unit? My old O-GPS1 went to green in 10 or 15 seconds (that is from memory).

David Lees

I just received a new O-GPS2 unit to replace my old O-GPS1 which I managed to lose somewhere. The the GPS Positioning Status light never goes green. In a clear open area, no trees or buildings it stays yellow (actually looks orange, but user manual says it is orange). Is this likely a defective unit? My old O-GPS1 went to green in 10 or 15 seconds (that is from memory).

David Lees
The orange light is the equivalent of the blue light on the O-GPS1, the green light you remember would be the gps indicator in the viewfinder which turns green when gps lock is achieved, not the external GPS positioning status of the orange external (blinking or steady orange).
Bob

The orange light is the equivalent of the blue light on the O-GPS1, the green light you remember would be the gps indicator in the viewfinder which turns green when gps lock is achieved, not the external GPS positioning status of the orange external (blinking or steady orange).
Bob
To Clarify that is on the rear display, upper right part of the screen.

To Clarify that is on the rear display, upper right part of the screen.
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. The screenshot attached is page 10 of the paper copy of the user manual that came with the unit (it has a 2022 copyright). What it calls "yellow", I see as "orange". When I turn the O-GPS2 on, it initially blinks orange and then goes steady orange. I am using a K3 iii and the GPS symbol on the LCD display shows a satellite icon with waves coming out the bottom.

I wonder if the manual is incorrect, because I never see "green" or anything that says 3D (or 2D).

David Lees

Attachments

• O-GPS2_page10.jpg
    EXIF
    O-GPS2_page10.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 6
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. The screenshot attached is page 10 of the paper copy of the user manual that came with the unit (it has a 2022 copyright). What it calls "yellow", I see as "orange". When I turn the O-GPS2 on, it initially blinks orange and then goes steady orange. I am using a K3 iii and the GPS symbol on the LCD display shows a satellite icon with waves coming out the bottom.

I wonder if the manual is incorrect, because I never see "green" or anything that says 3D (or 2D).

David Lees
I have the O-GPS1 which I attached to my K3III and it responds as you describe and as indicated in the camera manual
K3III GPS.jpg

There is no red/yellow/green icon as on earlier cameras (tried on KP and there the colored icons indicate status) but the manual seems to be incorrect when it applies to the K3 III, the 3d Icon is equivalent to green on older camers, 2d positionin icon would be equivalent to yellow on older camera, and No positioning icon would be the same as red on older cameras. I had not used the O-GPS1 on K3 III, I learned something, thanks for sharing. It would appear your O-GPS2 is operating properly. The first time you turn the GPS unit on after a period of unuse, it can take several minutes to fully lock onto satellites, this is normal with GPS units.

Bob

I have the O-GPS1 which I attached to my K3III and it responds as you describe and as indicated in the camera manual
View attachment 1641

There is no red/yellow/green icon as on earlier cameras (tried on KP and there the colored icons indicate status) but the manual seems to be incorrect when it applies to the K3 III, the 3d Icon is equivalent to green on older camers, 2d positionin icon would be equivalent to yellow on older camera, and No positioning icon would be the same as red on older cameras. I had not used the O-GPS1 on K3 III, I learned something, thanks for sharing. It would appear your O-GPS2 is operating properly. The first time you turn the GPS unit on after a period of unuse, it can take several minutes to fully lock onto satellites, this is normal with GPS units.

Bob
Bob,
Thanks again for taking time to look at this and reply. I contacted the Ricoh rep and am still exchanging e-mails with him. It sounds like Ricoh is not providing proper documentation for this unit, because he found the same thing as you suggest and I am finding too. They seem to have dropped the green LED from the new unit. And the 2D vs 3D positioning indicated by the LCD display on my K3 iii is the way to tell if GPS accuracy is good or poor. So I will try and do an experiment and see how good differential measurements are outdoor.

Another problem I have is that I have been unable to get the unit to do a calibration. I did finally get it do a compass calibration, but it must have taken 15 or 20 tries

Back