DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Underground Bohemian

Box Man

4471781C-7E15-44EF-8DFD-E30348BAE4AE.jpeg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON 1 V1
  • 32.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.2
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 180

Due to the directional of lighting, if I do it I might shoot with 0.5 stop lower exposure to preserve the highlight and do minor shadow lifting in shadow in PP.

Reason: face could be an important part to the frame so overblown it might not be desired. Specially it seems that a little too harsh on the lighting on the face to me.

I would use a lower exposure and do shadow lifting in post to balance the overall brightness, or use a reflector on the left lower side of the young lady to fill the shadow.

My 2 cents.

Given the somewhat unique subject matter, I like the minor harsh lighting on her face.
I think the image works, and works well.

Due to the directional of lighting, if I do it I might shoot with 0.5 stop lower exposure to preserve the highlight and do minor shadow lifting in shadow in PP.

Reason: face could be an important part to the frame so overblown it might not be desired. Specially it seems that a little too harsh on the lighting on the face to me.

I would use a lower exposure and do shadow lifting in post to balance the overall brightness, or use a reflector on the left lower side of the young lady to fill the shadow.

My 2 cents.
Thanks for the comment and critique. Yes, I could have considered all those things you mentioned, but I was out with friends and only shooting for fun, as we often do. I’m no professional nor am I even a photographer—just a guy who likes to snap a few. Also, nothing was choreographed there was no planned posing involved. I just asked them to let their imagination, as well as playful disposition take them to wherever it was they were going. Cheers!

Given the somewhat unique subject matter, I like the minor harsh lighting on her face.
I think the image works, and works well.
Thank you! Like I mentioned it was only and all for fun. Goofing off among friends. Purely spontaneous.

Back