DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do photographers posting here want honest feedback, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Test images, showing a particular technique, be that lighting, or camera operations, demonstrating something like what perspective is, showing how DOF varies with parameters, noise testing, object tracking, showing what focal length or exposure settings are needed for certain objects, processing techniques, and so on.

You know - education.
Great! My comments are for my personal use of the site, not meant to be instructive for anyone else. Cheers!

This has probably been said in here, though I didn't see it in the 15 pages of discussion, but I've always treated images posted as purely social UNLESS specifically stated that the posted WANTED some form of constructive criticism. It has to be a POSITIVE statement that they WANT criticism rather than being the default.

Only on those images would I ever comment with "You might try X" or "I think there's a problem with Y" or some other criticism. Otherwise it's nothing or just "Nice image".

When I went through judge training a while back, the instructor recommended doing two things: Pick out the BEST thing about the image and highlight that. And pick out the WORST thing about the image and offer feedback and maybe a recommendation on that. I've always tried to stay with that 'cause it makes me cringe when I a competition judge gives an image a very high score, then goes on the highlight a half dozen egregious flaws (technical and compositional) that SHOULD have drastically lowered the score.

This has probably been said in here, though I didn't see it in the 15 pages of discussion, but I've always treated images posted as purely social UNLESS specifically stated that the posted WANTED some form of constructive criticism. It has to be a POSITIVE statement that they WANT criticism rather than being the default.
Agreed. Of the thousands of images I posted on DPReview, I think I only asked for criticism once.

Agreed. Of the thousands of images I posted on DPReview, I think I only asked for criticism once.
Just had a bloke or woman or something take me down a few pegs on Pentax SLR Talk DPR . . his/ her words were well of interlect yet he has no gallery to see.
At least show me your stunners so I can see who you are otherwise i believe you are a troll. Good with words though. Pictures probably not.

Attachments

• IMGP0615-1z.jpg
    EXIF
    IMGP0615-1z.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Just had a bloke or woman or something take me down a few pegs on Pentax SLR Talk DPR . . his/ her words were well of interlect yet he has no gallery to see.
At least show me your stunners so I can see who you are otherwise i believe you are a troll. Good with words though. Pictures probably not.
Is there a gallery here?

Is there a gallery here?

If you think an extra gallery would be a nice thing to have, please post this as a suggestion in the suggestion/help/FAQ forum

If you requested feedback, why would a "gallery" or portfolio or website or anything else be a requirement for providing feedback or a response in a topic? I don't have a gallery anywhere and I haven't put my website back up since I changed ISPs (I'm really enjoying NOT having to mess with it)... Though, in general I don't "take people down a peg", mostly because I don't argue with experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back