DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Most of you will be Windows PC based but...

Probably best if you get support directly from your distro's community and specifically for that model. I don't print anymore (and haven't for almost 10 years now) so cannot offer advice on that - I'm literally clueless on the subject ;-)

That's great Ken. Was there a question about Linux in there?
Nope, I understood your post to be asking what people are using. Guess I misunderstood :-( Have never had the desire to use Linux, but one of my sons has a Ph.D in electrical engineering and he is familiar with it.

...one of my sons has a Ph.D in electrical engineering and he is familiar with it.
That's cool although I'm a bit lost why you would mention that in this context. I can imagine you are proud of him though.

I also use Linux in one f my laptops and find it solid and once get used to it it is a top alternative. In RawTherapy I tried to open Phase One file without success. I suppose it is not supported. Or am I doing something wrong? Thank you for starting this thread.

Some may run Linux PC's or aspire to do so. Hope I can help and/or answer some questions. Not an IT geek by far but an experienced amateur photographer with over 15 years use of Linux for photo editing and raw conversion.
Hi Mike
Windows user since Windows 3.1, not ready for Linux today but obviously Windows 11 is not in my future. So my Windows days may be coming to an end. I'll keep you in mind. I respect your Linux interests and skills. Linux is in more people's future then they realize. Thanks for your post. You just may be busier then you think. (-:
Keep it fun!
Ken

Phase One
Probably depends on the specific camera, raw format and compression selected and the version of RT you are running. Libraw which is the main raw library used by RT (I think) currently is said to support the following PhaseOne cameras but I'm willing to have a look if you can share a raw file with me somehow (Dropbox, Wetransfer etc)
IQ140
IQ150
IQ160
IQ180
IQ180 IR
IQ250
IQ260
IQ260 Achromatic
IQ280
IQ3 50MP
IQ3 60MP
IQ3 80MP
IQ3 100MP
IQ3 100MP Trichromatic
IQ4 150MP
LightPhase
Achromatic+
H 10
H 20
H 25
P 20
P 20+
P 21
P 25
P 25+
P 30
P 30+
P 40+
P 45
P 45+
P 65
P 65+
Hi Mike
Windows user since Windows 3.1, not ready for Linux today but obviously Windows 11 is not in my future. So my Windows days may be coming to an end. I'll keep you in mind. I respect your Linux interests and skills. Linux is in more people's future then they realize. Thanks for your post. You just may be busier then you think. (-:
Keep it fun!
Ken
Ken. TBH I'm far from a tinkerer or techie. Some people assume you have to be to operate Linux and I saw an example of that in this very thread. The truth is my kids used Linux from age 6 up (and that's about 20 years ago), my mom used it well into her seventies up until the day she passed away at 78 and my wife used it for many years to run her business on (she's a journalist and publicist). Neither my kids (duh), my mom or my wife were engineers or programmers (even though my son eventually picked up programming at university). My wife eventually succumbed to an Apple computer but that was more due to cuteness (Apple Mini) than software compatibility issues. TBH, she understands less of the Apple OS than she ever did of Linux.

I'm what you would call and "advanced user" and I can install and maintain the OS, address the most common software issues and updates. I can also very rarely meddle a tiny bit in some text-based configuration files (f.i. when lens-ID's are clashing in EXIF data) and have contributed a tiny bit to testing and trialing beta versions of software. But it stops right there as I cannot code if my life depended on it.

My claim to fame (??) is that I run a near-100% F/OSS workflow and am aware of- and have experience with- most image editing software available on Linux and can point at helpful resources or even go slightly beyond that in helping people get to a particular result.

So, please do not pin your hopes on me as the Linux Messiah...I'm just a hobby photographer who uses Linux and has done so for the last 20 years.

I also use Linux in one f my laptops and find it solid and once get used to it it is a top alternative. In RawTherapy I tried to open Phase One file without success. I suppose it is not supported. Or am I doing something wrong? Thank you for starting this thread.
Ken, I just downloaded a Phase One XF 100Mp sample file from Imaging Resource (https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/phase-one-xf-100mp/phase-one-xf-100mpA7.HTM) and it seems to load perfectly fine in RT5.9 as you can see from below screenshot I just made. Of course I have no idea if that applies to your camera or raw files but it may just be helpful.

Screenshot_20230417_092727.jpg

Any advice for printing with Canon Pro printers? Especially the fickle sort that run multiple flavors of linux?
Try TurboPrint.

Ken, I just downloaded a Phase One XF 100Mp sample file from Imaging Resource (https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/phase-one-xf-100mp/phase-one-xf-100mpA7.HTM) and it seems to load perfectly fine in RT5.9 as you can see from below screenshot I just made. Of course I have no idea if that applies to your camera or raw files but it may just be helpful.

View attachment 1368
Hello, please download a P30 raw file. You can upload the result here if you prefer. Thanks.
Thanks.
Please see the post below.

Last edited:
Back