DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax filters Any good

G

Hi,

I wondered, are contax filters okay?
Are they just as good as B+W? Worse. Or maybe better.
Does anyone has som experiences with contax filters?

regards,

Jeroen

I have some Contax filters and I like them. However, now when I buy any filter I make sure it is multicoated. Frankly, I think Hoya, Heliopan and B+W are all fine products and you won't regret them. Contax filters are particularly great if everything on one's camera must be labled "Contax". +) Jack C.

I wondered, are contax filters okay? > Are they just as good as B+W? Worse. Or maybe better.> Does anyone has som experiences with contax filters?

Yes , I have one or two - they are very good quality , comparable pretty much to B&W or Heliopan . Very often they are more expensive though..... Steve

I found one odd thing about the B+W filters I have...

If I hold a B+W filter and a Contax filter (both UV) up to a lightsource so I get the worst glare across the face, the B+W shows more washing out white than the Contax does...the Contax also seems to have a greenish tint to the glare like my eyeglasses that have a anti-reflective coating on them...

Anyone else see this?

John

> So, what does this mean? Are you saying that contax filters are better,

Unfortunately, I am having a problem with the Contax polarizing filter on the N1. It is "frozen", and I cannot loosen it. Any suggestions?

> Unfortunately, I am having a problem with the Contax polarizing filter> on the N1. It is "frozen", and I cannot loosen it. Any suggestions?

Try using one of those rubber things to loosen the tops of screw top jars etc . Also once you have got it off rub some pencil lead onto the threads - the graphite is an excellent dry lubricant....... Steve

"Unfortunately, I am having a problem with the Contax polarizing filter on the N1. It is "frozen", and I cannot loosen it. Any suggestions?"

Latex kitchen gloves are marvellous for removing stuck filters.

Contax UV MC (Multi Coated) filters are very good.
Shooting in daylight the colours are more vivid.
I prefere B+W polar filter with 50mm but Contax is better with 28mm because is a bit wider than the filter diameter in order to avoid vignetting.

I have use contax 28mm f2.8 with stepup adapter ring(55mm to 62mm)which is very slim plus B&W Polar filter without vignetting, but I have top remove the contax skylight filter.

This is use with Aria camera, earlier I have try with skylight filter+B&W pola+ adapter ring 55 to 60 there is vegenetting.

I have also tested using B&W and the skylight
filter without success. I have even try the pola
filter (Sear brand) only but still vegenetting.
I suppose the filter ring is to thick.

Back