DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Steve,

I have just moved to the G2 from a Nikon F100. Before buying into the system, I read the same things you've obviously read. In my opinion, these criticisms are EXTREMELY overblown.

Part of this is probably is a natural consequence of what system the new G user is coming from. If you've only had experience with manual focus, the G focusing will take some getting used to due to its lack of visual confirmation. If you'r moving from an FM2n to an F100, you can see if you're in focus in the viewfinder - not the case with a G.

However, if you've had experience with autofocus, you will have no problem whatsoever using a G. Of my first four rolls shot with my G2, three of 144 frames were out of focus. I wouldn't have done much better with my F100.

If, as you say, you are new to photography, the best thing you can do is to READ THE MANUAL. Then go out and shoot a few rolls under varying conditions. It will not take you long at all to get the hang of accurately using the G AF system.

Hope this helps.

DZ

Thanks for the advice. I have since made the fatal mistake of actually holding a G1 in my hands. Prior to that moment, thoughts like "Nikon is good", "I like my Nikon" and "I probably couldn't tell the difference between Nikon and Zeiss anyway", would run through my head. But now after experiencing this camera in my hands I fear the urge to have one is overwhelming. OK, now to my point. The guy in the shop where I was viewing the G1 said the problem with the focus is only on the G1, not the G2, and only with the 90mm lens. I think the lens part is correct but it seems G2 owners also experience focusing problems. However, the most significant thing the guy in the shop said was that if there are focusing problems with the G1 and a 90mm lens, it will show up immediately and will always be present (under the conditions which cause the problem, of course). Does this sound correct to those who are familiar with the G1? If it is correct, I should be able to put a roll of film through at the store and test the particular camera before purchase. If there is any flaw in my thinking I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Steve

Hi Steve,

As a posted ealier, some G1 left the factory with some problems in their focusing chip. This causes the AF-motor to wind the lens out to the wrong area where you intend to focus. Yes, this probably only happen with the 90 lens. When I attached the 90 lens , and press the shutter release button the motor made very noisy sounds. It had no problem when I focus to infinity. But when I focus to close distance, It always made some annoying loud sounds. Yes, I recommend you to try the G1 with the 90 lens before you leave the store. I sent it back to Contax twice. Contax re-calibrate it and now it works fine. All the pictures came out very sharp.

Wai

> I have good experience with the G1 and the 2.8/90 in a variety of situations and have never had problems with poorly focused > subjects. Nor have I experienced any difference with the autofocus using the Sonnar compared with the Planar 2/35 that is > normally attached to the G1. I have used the Sonnar 2.8/90 for both landscapes and portraits and I find that it produces photos > that live up to Zeiss expectations and often better the results obtained with both the Planars 2/35 and 2/45.

>

I have a problem with my G1 ,it does not focus properly anymore.The lens moves but does not find the proper distance even when focused manually . Is this a commomn problem with a common cure or does this camera need to be sent to Contax? Also does any body know how much a repair like this would cost ? Thanks George

Hello everybody,
I just got into G1 world (always used Canon Eos 1 but I'm lazy now).
I got problems to get accostumed with the parallass error(is it called like this in English?) due to the difference between lens and viewer.
The correction is not enough because I shot some slides today with rectangules and the difference is not small.
How do you manage?
How does it change according to the lens? and to the distance? Is there a rule?
Thanks a lot
Mauro (Italy)

Mauro: the word is parallax. G1 viewfvinder corrects for paralax autoomatically depending on the lense you are using. So this should not be a problem. It has not been a problem for me shooting with 28mm, 45mm, or 90mm. Possible reason: a faulty body or lense problem. I'd have it checked with a service.
GF

George: have you tried changing the battery? A new battery solved a similar problem for me.
GF

re. focusing problem with G1 and noisy 90 mm.
Once you learn how G1 focusing works, you won't have a problem (true of all systems, auto or manual). The trick is to focus on a contrasty vertical, hold the shuter release while recomposing the frame, and squeeze the shutter without letting go of the shutter release (or you ill , lose the focus). For awhile affter I bought my G1, I kept my Nikon 8000 autofocus system. I did not see any difference in the speed of focusing between the two, though it was a bit more reassuring to see the Nikon viewfinder fall into focus. But you get over this quickly, once you realize how much you have to lug around with an SLR. My g1 and a 28 or 45 mm fits into my jacket pocket, with a 90mm in the other pocket. That's travelling light!
But you must also keep in mind that focusing has a lot to do with the steadiness of the camera when you shoot. I think a rangefinder gains you about 1 f-stop when hand-held. Still, when you check your camera for focusing problems, always use a steady tripod. Otherwise there is no way you canbeb sure whether it was the lense or your hands that were to blame. Especially with 35 mm cameras, tripods are crucial. For critical focus, there is no substitute for a tripod -- unless you shoot 400 ASA in open sunlight.
GF

Back