DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax AX , with mirror blocked up

mulanee

My Contax AX sometimes (2 times during 1 film) has the mirror locked up and nothing happens.
I have to get out the film from the body and try some manipulation (I don't remember which ones) to unlock.
I seem to appear when I'm in manuel focus.
Any idea?

Dear Sir,

did you resolve this problem and how with your AX in the meantime?
I have the same problem, so I would really be grateful for your info.

tnx

No, I didn't got enough time to make it repair.
This problem seems common with several contax bodies.A kind of tuning could be done on the pivot, as it's a well known issue.
If you do it before me, please let us know.

I recently have the same problem. ((( Two yeas my AX was good. Does anybody have an AX (RX) repair manual which is at ebay? Is it a good manual? It seems that my RX has this problem also. ((( Therefore now I use only Yashica FX-3.

daa, Just posted a reply on the other site re Contax 'mirror slip' then thought I would check this one out, as it seemed to relate to the same problem, and it does. I have not used either of my 167 or AX for some months so I will get them out to have a look. I was set on getting another Contax to go with the other two, but I will definitely put things on hold now.
However, any useful information re this problem, and the potential cost of such a repair, from anyone out there, would be appreciated.
Thanks.

It seems not to be a mirror issue, this is due to the too small displacement of the diaph ring

I got it repaired on the diaph ring point of view.
Nevertheless, mirror blocked 2 times in 14 pictures.
Question now is to know if it is mechanical or electrical failure to give some facts to the after sale shop.

Back