DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

DPreview Closure Theory )

My theory is that they were in Downsizing Mode, as many tech companies are these days. Therefore, they started looking at everything, so DPR came under the microscope. I don't assume they're stupid and don't know what they're doing; I think someone probably analyzed how many links were being made between DPR ads that led to photography gear sales. They decided it wasn't enough to justify the expense of keeping the site up.

Then, there was this big outcry, which led them to acknowledge that there is a lot of info worth archiving. So they're doing that now, and then it's going to be lights-out, with almost no warning.

Very classy. :cautious:

I don't agree that it's a marketing disaster for Amazon. Perhaps amongst a very small community of camera and photography enthusiasts. But it won't do anything to hurt Amazon's main business and, most likely, many of those camera and photography enthusiasts will continue to use Amazon for some purchases simply because they are convenient and, usually, reasonably priced. Most Amazon customers will have never heard or DPReview and, most likely, most Amazon management hadn't either.

For what it's worth, I cut back significantly on my use of Amazon after being subject to a couple of attempted scams. When I called Amazon, they didn't want to know. Fortunately, my credit card company did want to know, cancelled the scam transactions and issued a new card. In addition, I've almost never used Amazon for camera or photography related purchases.
Indeed. I had the same experience. Won't happen again!
Pap

Just start them here. I hope we can start with challenges next week.
Yes please . . challenges please. You may be able to make the challenges much better i believe because on Dpreview everyone was voting on a large thumbnail most of the time. Your system on here might be better for some of those photos that need to be bigger than a large thumbnail during the voting process. It was too laborious on DPR to open each photo up properly. I was guilty of it myself. Also you might get more interest in the challenges if everyone can see your system is better. These are just thoughts out loud. You can actually do it better than DPR did it.
When I say thumbnail I am perhaps being mean but i am telling you that it needs a better process to vote. ( I could be completely wrong because people use phones anyway. The folks with a 15 inch approx screen need a better process to see each photo better. Your website may already be much better when you start them. I am not sure. Just some thoughts and hope perhaps.
Regards
Dino26323

Indeed. I had the same experience. Won't happen again!
Pap
I've never had any problem ordering from Amazon. Have to be aware of who the seller actually is, and where it's shipping from. Because of the Marketplace, it may or may not be Amazon you're buying from and may or may not be shipping from Amazon. That said, my larger camera purchases are only with B&H or Adorama.

Mark

I still have no idea how to get my photo's out of my DPR Gallery.

I asked to have them archived or whatever, sent to me, etc. but have never heard back from DPR and don't expect to.

Has anybody gotten their photo's off their Gallery and if sow, how?

tedolph

You can get 1 image at a time -
Go to gallery, click on image.
Scroll down to Available sizes. Pick size you want. This will open in new window.
Right click on image, select copy image.
Paste into image editor of your choice.

Don't know if there's a faster way.

Went back to double check that.
It did not retain exif info for me.

All the images in my DPR Gallery were uploaded from the hard drive of my PC, so I have them anyway. If DPR delete my gallery there, it’s no loss to me.

Back