DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Take only a mobile phone when traveling for picture taking?

When I had my Huawei P30 pro and my Pixels they took lovely photographs most of the time. And I was incredibly bored. And while they both had "pro" modes I didn't find them very useful. Then I found the Sony Xperia. When people ask me how the "automatic" mode is I answer honestly that I have no idea. I never use it. When I flub a shot it's strictly my doing.. My cameras are 16mm, 24mm, 70mm, 105mm equivalents. It meets my needs and gives me the control I want even if I don't deserve it. I have fun. There was a time, like you, when I enjoy hauling camera bodies, lens, and accessories. No more. On rare occasions a tripod.
20230402_104000.jpg
  • Sony - XQ-BQ62
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.7
  • 1/20 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

20230410_065459.jpg
  • Sony - XQ-BQ62
  • 14.5 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/640 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 50

20230411_115825.jpg
  • Sony - XQ-BQ62
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.7
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

I will certainly recognize the advantages of a full-frame DSLR and all the accessory equipment so we can't really compare the two. But, can a phone camera meet my needs. You betcha. I also recognize the advantage for most users of the phones with awesome artificial intelligence that does everything except frame the photo. I just prefer to do it myself. Is that for everyone? Nope.

Last edited:
I'm 81 and I decided a few years ago to quit carrying my camera and lens around. I had a Google Nexus, I moved to Huawei, then to Pixels, and finally to Sony Xperia 5II and then 5III. At the same time I quit making 16x20 prints. I've never regretted my decision.
View attachment 1731
View attachment 1732
View attachment 1733
Enjoy your vacation.
Excellent photos!

I’m 64 and will be traveling to Greece with a 26 year old daughter who uses her phone for everything, of course. I want to try to do the same, which explains my initial reason to use only the iPhone. There are reasons beyond convenience. The iPhone takes great photos, and we all know the equipment is secondary to the photographer’s eye. I’m hoping the iPhone photography course will help. I like making good travel books with some goofy but mostly terrific photos.

Excellent photos!

I’m 64 and will be traveling to Greece with a 26 year old daughter who uses her phone for everything, of course. I want to try to do the same, which explains my initial reason to use only the iPhone. There are reasons beyond convenience. The iPhone takes great photos, and we all know the equipment is secondary to the photographer’s eye. I’m hoping the iPhone photography course will help. I like making good travel books with some goofy but mostly terrific photos.
Best of luck and have a wonderful time with your daughter.

I think the pictures from my little compact are superior to those from my phone, but if those you get from your phone are good enough for you, I'm not the one to argue.

Good luck and good light.

I think the pictures from my little compact are superior to those from my phone, but if those you get from your phone are good enough for you, I'm not the one to argue.

While I agree as far as sharpness (obviously a better quality lens and sensor) the photos out of my Sony RX100mk5 need some post processing to bring out their best. Even the Jpegs compared to the Raw shots. And there are people who don’t want to do that. Like when RAW was first being used and you had to have some knowledge to process the files.

While I agree as far as sharpness (obviously a better quality lens and sensor) the photos out of my Sony RX100mk5 need some post processing to bring out their best. Even the Jpegs compared to the Raw shots. And there are people who don’t want to do that. Like when RAW was first being used and you had to have some knowledge to process the files.
When I got my first DSLR I took a lot of photos, made a lot of prints, and wasn't having fun, I wasn't enjoying myself. I made a list of the various steps in producing a photograph and then kept track of how I was spending my time. It turned out my least favorite step was the one I was spending the most time on: editing. I gave the issue some thought, read a manual for my camera, and began working at getting the best JPEGs possible out of my camera. And, I started enjoying myself again. Before digital, I knew people who enjoyed the darkroom more than shooting photos. Same thing.

I see your point.

I’ve been trying to compare my Sony EX100M6 to my iPhone. That Sony camera is tiny and easy to carry. I’m used to getting good photos with Canons or Sonys. However, I’ve seen lots of beautiful photos (sometimes highly edited) from more recent iPhones. I’m not a big editor; my photos are more natural.

If I were shooting wildlife, I’d bring a Canon DSLR or Sony RX10M4. In those shots, with my limited experience, the iPhone can’t keep up. I’m often trying to capture movement at a distance or birds in flight.

I see your point.

I’ve been trying to compare my Sony EX100M6 to my iPhone. That Sony camera is tiny and easy to carry. I’m used to getting good photos with Canons or Sonys. However, I’ve seen lots of beautiful photos (sometimes highly edited) from more recent iPhones. I’m not a big editor; my photos are more natural.

If I were shooting wildlife, I’d bring a Canon DSLR or Sony RX10M4. In those shots, with my limited experience, the iPhone can’t keep up. I’m often trying to capture movement at a distance or birds in flight.
Have to know the limitations of your camera (or iPhone). Wildlife (and BIF) and sports are definitely the iPhone's (or probably any mobile phone's camera) weak points. If we were going on a safari (another of my "bucket lists") instead of Israel/Jordan, I would schlep along my Olympus EM5 and both lenses, one of which is the equivalent of 28-300MM. And probably would never have started this post. Something in the deep recesses of my "older generation brain" - even after the lovely results I got from our France and Spain trips - still says when traveling take at a minimum some sort of "real camera". Not saying it makes sense - but that comes from starting many years ago with 35mm film cameras I guess.

Question for those who travel. Do you feel that phone photography has gotten to the point (as far as image quality) that you would feel comfortable only taking a mobile phone on a trip?
The big question is whether this is a holiday with family, or specifically a photography trip (without family) ?

For a trip with family yes, IMHO. There's no question the current crop of phones do better than compact cameras - and for video, A LOT better. Leave the big gear behind - you simply don't need it, and it's a pain.

But if you have arranged a trip specifically for photography without the family, take your big gear. Tripod, gimbal and all.

Back