DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma Dp0 Quattro. Spring and Autumn. Rodnikovsky waterfall.

Serge

_P0Q5266_1920.jpg
  • SIGMA - SIGMA dp0 Quattro
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/18
  • 1/6 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200
_P0Q1205.jpg
  • SIGMA - SIGMA dp0 Quattro
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/125 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

How do you get the colors so nice? I'm having color issues with my DPQ-0; would love to know your process. The one below took a lot of work to get it looking decent.

Attachments

• A-LN_Adrian_de_Groot_No_Rain_in_Spain-print on 13x19.jpg
    EXIF
    A-LN_Adrian_de_Groot_No_Rain_in_Spain-print on 13x19.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 15
@adegroot: For my personal, individual taste, your picture looks not decent, but totally oversaturated and over-edited. I do only own an old DS1 Merrill, but generally, Foveon sensors do *not* have that "plastic look" like other CMOS. It's a *decent*, restrained colour rendering.

Johannes

@adegroot: For my personal, individual taste, your picture looks not decent, but totally oversaturated and over-edited. I do only own an old DS1 Merrill, but generally, Foveon sensors do *not* have that "plastic look" like other CMOS. It's a *decent*, restrained colour rendering.

Johannes
I would advise at first to calibrate monitor. But in any way, I don't see anything critical in the post-processing.

Last edited:
I would advise at first to calibrate monitor. But in any way, I don't see anything critical in the post-processing.
I'm graphics designer and photo pro and working since 30 years in front of a (every 200 hours calibrated) monitor, which may be more expensive than the whole windows setup of the one or the other contemporary.
The green and yellow in the grass seems to me oversaturated. I never happen to see such a landscape, even in springtime. The whole picture seems to me over "punchy" and dramaticed. Sorry. It is actual a common taste, to have those pictures, but the real world is much more restrained.
My view.
Best wishes
Johannes

Oversaturated? No. A bit saturated? Perhaps. I never go for oversaturated; hate the look. This was in Spain, and what you see is as close to what I remembered it being. Yes, I sue do shoot Velvia film with punchy colors, which I liked a lot; and without a slight punch here the image would have become quite boring.

Anyways, my question is about processing a Quattro image. It's much easier to process a Merrill image than a Quattro image, whether shot in original raw or as a DNG.

Anyways, my question is about processing a Quattro image. It's much easier to process a Merrill image than a Quattro image, whether shot in original raw or as a DNG
DNG files are easier to edit because they can be managed by any RAW editor that has support for the format. For example Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop...

But the DNG from Quttro is not a true DNG format, which contains the original data from the camera, but a certain amount of interpolation of the original raw data (by Sigma's in-camera algorithms). So, Sigma has made modifications that we can't control / modify. For this reason, DxO PhotoLab (for example) will not open DNGs from Sigma quattro's.
There is also the possibility that Sigma may change its DNG image processing algorithm in the future without notice, and older DNG images may not be fully valid. And thus DNG-files cannot be used for archiving images.

X3F is therefore preferable.

Last edited:
Hi Adrian, nice to see you posting here. Interesting photo to process. I haven't shot in Spain, we probably have a lot more humidity and hazy in the Virginia atmosphere. Nor have I tried the DP0Quattro. I bought a DP3Q and SDQ last summer. The files from those 2 seem somewhat different from each other. Probably due to varying lenses. Do you have any other Q sensor cameras? For comparison?
What I've realized in past couple months processing is that I often 'overdo' the SPP processing and as you know I just use SPP. I'd like to redo all my Japan2017 photos (won't happen) and I'm going very gently with the DP2&3M 2018 photos from Hawaii I'm currently working on.
Can you possibly email me your DP0Q Spain RAW and let me have a look and try with it? You have my email. Thanks, Sandy
PS some of my SDQs at flickr, see albums by camera, at Meadowlark Gardens last summer or at Bull Run, grass, look to be somewhat similar conditions to your Spain photo.
PS to Serge, your work is gorgeous, inspirational!

Back