DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss Biogon 21mm f2.8 Lens

Does anybody know why Contax hast stopped making the black version of this lens, and why they never sold it to Europe?

As they sell here a certain amount of black sets, there should be a demand for black spare lenses as well? I think it should be self-evident customer service to provide the whole system in the same colour.

Hi ,
I'm planning to purchase the B21/2.8 soon.
How do I get about fixing the flash and the g21 viewfinder on the same hot-shoe?

Any suggestion or ideas?

Thanks
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I know of no product that will allow this; however, if you are using the TLA200, that flash unit doesn't have coverage beyond 28 mm at any rate.

What I currently do:

I leave the finder and use a less expensive off-brand flash unit with tilt, and a bracket and attach to the the flash with a hot-sync cord to the port on the left end of the G2 body. (The G1 has the same port.) I then use manual flash and let the auto feature of the flash determine exposure or shoot manually (aperture set based on distance of the subject).

In that way, I get the view-finder and have the flash off-axis (reducing red-eye). Using a defuser on the flash is always a good idea, and it's powerful enough to bounce it in the right situation.

I'm thinking about getting another flash unit:
One that can be used with the TTL feature of the G System, and use the dedicated TTL hot-shoe and attach the flash rather than a flash sync cord, and use it for TTL off axis for all but the 21 mm or 16 mm lenses - there's always the sync cord option for them.

Good luck!

David

> I have a similar problem using my 21 w/flash extension cord that both=20=

> use same hotshoe. I sacrifice accurate framing and just eyeball thru=20=

> the viewfinder for 28mm and guess : )

chris li/wash. dc > > >

Thanks David and Christopher for your quick suggestion and feedback.

I'm currently using TLA360 with my G1(I started with contax AX SLR system and lenses and the possibilities of bouncing the light at all angle certainly help to diffuse the harsh/direct light produce by the 140's or the 200's ).I normally shoot meeting in the hall with fluorscent light around,fast film and slow sync, the flash is just for filling in.

In the market now,there's this 'shoe adapter' made by cosina for it voigtlander RF camera which allowed you to use both the flash and the finder together but you will not have any flash sync ,though.

Well, surely contax is not going to do it.I guess I have to adopt what Christopher is doing now - 1)"guesstimate" through the 28mm finder...
2)whip out the 21 finder ,get the angle , shove it into your pocket and shoot.Hmmmmmmm....sooner or later I'm going to lost that finder....!

Regards,
Jonathan

> > > > Jonathan, I once dropped my Leica 21mm finder (glass) onto the=20 sidewalk; not a pretty picture : ( Now I guesstimate fairly accurately=20=

w/o the finder. BTW, will a filter on a 21 Biogon vignette? I hate to=20 buy those expensive slim WA filters. Of course, I can probably live=20 with a little vignetting since my framing style is not 100% accurate=20 anyway : )

chris li/wash. dc

> >

> > > > Thanks, Leo I also have begun shooting w/regular B&W filters w/no=20 vignetting.

chris li/wash. dc

Hi, I am in need of some advice. I have a G2 in very good condition with 90mm, 45 mm and 28 mm lenses. I am very happy with, beautiful pictures. I recently bought a second hand 21 mm lens which is in absolutely new condition. When I connect the lens to the body all the functions, autofocus, aperture control and light metering seems to work well and I can make pictures (I ndid not yet develop these however), except that the lens does not lock in the body. I cannot turn the lens any further, but it just does not seem to trigger the lock mechanism. I have compared to all my other lenses, but I can see no reason, it must be a minute difference in the adjustment of the various partsof the bajonet of the lens. Is there anyone with the same experience. What is the reason and do I have to have both the camera and the lens to be adjusted to each other??

Peter,

I had a similar problem with my 45mm. See the discussion under "problem mounting 45mm." The problem in my case was a misalignment of the ring on the back of the lens. Somehow it got twisted so the red dot was not properly positioned under the wide tooth of the ring. This is clearer if you look at the rear of another lens.

According to a repairman, who fixed it in about 2 minutes, it is likely caused by not being careful when mounting or dismounting the lens, and twisting the part behind the knurled ring, rather than just the knurled ring (what the manual calls the lens grip ring).

Regrettably, his only explanation of his repair was that "it's a touch thing," but he somehow got it all lined properly without any disassembly. I can't really complain, since he didn't charge. MAYBE some minor fiddling would fix it. I recommend a very gentle approach.

Back