DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zoom lens repair experiences

G

I recently had my 28-85mm zoom sent in for repair after it fell while on a tripod. It was sent to Japan for repair. Now that I have gotten it back and after running about 100 rolls through the camera it is again loose and is beginning to have the tendencyfor the barrel to become gravity extended. It had developed this problem long before it fell on the tripod but was fixed during the last repair.

My question has to do with the experiences that others have had when repairs were done such as mine. Were the repairs done sucessfully?

Bill Crow
www.billcrow.net

I dropped one some years ago. It was in a good make camera bag and = simply slipped from my shoulder to the ground but the focusing was = wrecked and the barrell was distorted. It went back to Germany for = repair and the repair cost =A3650. Fortunately the lens was insured. It = worked fine after the repair with no hint of "zoom creep." It sounds as = though you have been unlucky, especially as the remedy may mean another = trip to Japan for the lens and presumably a long delay etc.

John

Oops: that should have been =A3650 (six hundred and fifty GB pounds)

John

After the first crash of my VS 35-135, I gave it to the shop, where I had bought it. I don't where they send it. When I got it back, the damaged parts where fixed, but not replaced and the zoom lens was creeping. After the second crash, I send it to Zeiss, Oberkochen directly. They did a fine job. No more creeping. They replaced the parts, that were just fixed after the first crash and repaired the rest. But it costs EUR 1.088.

Wolfram

Two years ago my 35-70 went ruined without any reason, esp. it did not fall down. The barrell didnot work really fine, so I sent it to Zeiss Oberkochen. Overthere Mr. Caillet told me that the lens has to be replaced because it falled down. I decided to change this wonderfull lens to a 28-70 at a lower price. Allthough I was very happy that Zeiss did this offer, I regreted it because the 28-70 was not as good as the 35-70. Zeiss were really helpful!

Regards Wolfgang

Back