DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Composition View -> Focus View

Tom Caldwell

One of the not debated issues with MF lenses is on being able to switch from magnified view (focus view FV) to unmagnified view (composition view CV) easily.

Most systems will start in CV and can be switch to FV by press of a button. But when soft shutter press is invoked will immediately default back to CV which is expected. But if your object moves or you simply wish to check focus then getting back into FV should be quick and easy. But not all methods are the same and sometimes it is more awkward than it should really be.

The best set up I have ever come across was used by the now long obsoleted Ricoh GXR. When in MF mode and using FV a soft press of the shutter would switch to CV as expected but by releasing the shutter it would switch back into FV. Therefore the shutter soft press became a toggle and this was very intuitive. It is a pity that other brands have not thought to copy this very convenient MF assist tool.

The next best that I know is Panasonic where after losing FV on soft press a simple thumb dab anywhere on the lcd will re-invoke it. There is always a button or a rear wheel near the thumb rest press that will do the same thing and can be more useful if the lcd is a long-thumb-stretch away.

I similarly resolved the very long thumb stretch to the FV-click on the Sony NEX6 I have by assigning the AEL lock button to this purpose as it is right next to where my thumb normally rests.

Other brands have their own methods and I am not widely conversant with their FV-re-invoke procedure and it would be good for them to be explained by others familiar with them.

Back