DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G3 wish list

I have just bought some "Photo Glossy Snapshots" which are 7"x5" and 6"x4". Photo paper proper when I used to buy it, always used to be sized in imperial also e.g. 10"x8" and I am told that it still is.
John

This metric discussion is kinda funny. I hope no one's acctually getting mad over it. It sounds like an argument over a family holiday dinner (ones we've had about the metric system). Though I prefer metric, extracting a "kilo of flesh" doesn't sound as dramatic! Jeff

I'm confused. I thought this was the Contax User Forum - dealing with photogaphy. Art

Clive, et al.,

There wouldn't need to be two versions, just a "select either metric/English" function added to the many custom functions already there. Still one camera for all markets. Simple.

I don't know exactly what the fascination is with very fast rangefinder lenses. The ability to handhold slow film in low light is certainly desireable. There's undeniably some envy over the many choices available for the M series (and I will say the Noctalux, for ex&le, is one amazing hunk of glass).

There are potential roadblocks to very fast G lenses. Increased lens diameters will block G1 and G2 viewfinders, especially when a lens hood is attached. The existing autofocus systems may not be accurate enough to focus the very shallow depths of field. I think it would be risky for Kyocera to release lenses (especially expensive ones) that might not be compatible with the existing G bodies. It's likely moot anyway, Kyocera surely isn't putting their limited R&D money into the G system.

--Rick

Yes Rick,

You are quite right - the Imperialists could be accomodated within a custom function. I had not alowed for that.

The other issue about fast lenses for the G1 & G2 crops up from time to time with comments like: "When you have had f1.4 then f2 just will not do." I just cannot for the life of me fathom out why. Not on a rangefinder anyway.

I suspect that there is a band of consumers who need to have the newest / fastest / biggest of anything and these are the ones attracted to the ultra fast aperture lenses. I welcome this type of photographer as their constant never ending quest for new items means that I get their cast offs cheap via eBay.

My RB67 and 35mm SLR spend most of their waking hours perched on a tripod, but the rangefinder is invariably hand held. So for my money the elusive G3 would have the option of an image stabilised 28 ~ 90mm zoom and I would n't care if it was a mere f3.5 / 4.5 optic.

Off to Venice tomorrow so you can argue amongst yourselves all weekend.

Clive

Clive or anyone reading this:

You mention a desire for a 28-90 zoom; however, I was wondering what experience people on the group had with the current G zoom.

How does it stand up to the prime lenses in terms of color, resolution and contrast? For ex&le the 28, 45 and 90 can't be beat.

the contaxg site doesn't seem to have much in the way of images displayed, but if it really does compete with the prime lenses, it would be a great travel option.

Thoughts, available images?

David

David,

I have the zoom and, based on my fairly limited use so far, find it to be up to Zeiss standards. The main thing you're giving up is speed, which can limit the ability to handhold with slower film in dim light. It's probably not the lens for K25 and Velvia fans.

As you point out, the G2+zoom is a great travel combination, sort of the Ultimate P&S. Because I primarily shoot chromes, I find the ability to crop in camera quite useful. Toss in the 21 and a flash, and you've got a wonderful travel kit.

A 28-90 would have to be gruesomely slow to be small enough for the G system. Look at the aperture values for some of the P&S cameras with extended zoom ranges to see what I mean.

--Rick

David & Rick,
I too have found a dearth of information about the G series V-S lens. For my part I hate carrying and changing lenses particularly on the G series cameras which I usually take out when I don’t want to be loaded with gear and so I have decided on the purchase of a zoom. I intend to keep the 28mm, 35mm & 90mm for the time being until I can properly assess the images derived from the zoom – hopefully next week as I’m taking the G2 & V-S on holiday this weekend. If the slides show any marked reduction in image quality over the primes then the zoom will go to eBay otherwise the primes will be sold.

The beauty of eBay is that you can buy, try and re-sell without incurring too much of a financial penalty. I have even been known to make a modest profit on the gear I have bought just to play with.

A 28 ~ 90mm zoom would be a problem on the current G2, but if the hypothetical G3 materialised it could have an extended rangefinder base (as per the 1930’s Contax II) and high eye point viewfinder to negate these. Even then I can’t see a constant f2.8 being viable.

Does anyone know whether the moveable viewfinder on a G2 would accommodate anything longer than 90mm - say 135mm or wider than the current 28mm?

Right, time to pack………

Clive

Back