DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Carl Zeiss Lenses for Other Mounts

That would be great but I understood that Nikon cannot make a full frame sensor in their cameras because of the small lens throat and this is why they insist on using a smaller sensor albeit with purported good results.
If the CZ lenses have the same mount, I would have thought that there would be the same problem.
Maybe it is a new range of lenses, perhaps AF and a different mount? N?
John

>Interesting that CZ lenses will be available for the Nikon F, as stated in other lists. That's an old Nikon. I have a Nikon F circa 1967. Always was a good camera.

I was thinking and hoping that the new development will be more along the lines of their N-mount lenses. If Zeiss can become a "high end" 3rd party lens manufacturer and make lenses in both Nikon and Canon mounts, that woud be fantastic. Wishful thinking maybe. But who knows!

aFTER 50 YEARS THE ZEIS CO. HAS DECIDED TO COMPETE WITH THE ORIENT. I THINK I'LL STICK WITH NIKON AND CANON. I ALSO LIKE TAMRON & SIGMA.
I USE NIKON F, FE, CANON D-REBEL, ABD THE 20D. I
DO NOT COUNT MY OLD ZEISS AT ALL.<font color="ff0000">FOR HI-TECH
I' STAY WITH WHAT IS THE LEADER. NOT A HAS BEEN

Those dogs, they do the F-mount and not the EOS mount? Who has been buying all their old Contax stock but us Canon users, and this is how they repay us our appreciation?

After owning an ND I feel Zeiss has not been nice to me. Too bad I love their optics.

As for staying with the hi-tech leader, well that's what I did. I got a Canon 1Ds MkII, and got the best optics that would work with it - Zeiss and Leica.

And let's keep things in perspective - the highest tech is not always necessarily the best tech. Automatic transmissions are fine, but you won't see me replacing my 6-speed manual transmission for one of them
crazy.gif

To John Strain:
You mentioned that Nikon might not be able to make a full frame sensor in their cameras because of the small lens throat. This should not be true since same lenses are used also on film cameras with 24x36mm format? Or am I wrong? (sorry I am not a Nikon user).
On the other hand I understand Nikon claimed they will stick to a format with form-factor of 1,5. Interestening to see if Nikon will maintain this claim with the arrival of EOS 5D and, as I heard, EOS 50D soon, both with full format sensors.
So, my question: the real reason for Nikon's claim to stick to 1,5-form-factor format is made because of their lenses?

>I don't agree it's a lens-throat issue. After all, Kodak has made >the DCS 14n and its replacement, with 14mpx full frame sensors. In >fact, it's Kodak's discontinuation of that camera (I own one) and >Nikon's stated policy that the 1.5 is the new paradigim, that has >caused me to buy a 5D and start selling off my extensive Nikon >system to be replaced with Canon.

I'd assume Nikon will solve this ff problem eventually as sensor technology advances and micro lens solutions come into play.

Personally, I liked Nikon gear and even a few of their lenses ( 28/1.4, 85/1.4, 85/2.8 T/S Macro, 105/2 & 135/2DC ). Unlike Canon most of which had aperture rings on them.

But the handwriting was on the wall when Canon launched 1.3X first, then full frame not long after that. It all really annoys me when I think how close Kyocera was with the ff ND and lenses neither Canon nor Nikon could provide. Grrrrrr. ; -(

Grrrrrr. ; -( is right. Kind of like walking 990 miles of a 1000 mile journey then giving up and returning without achieving your goal.

Back