DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Best scanner for 6x6

hassiman

I am looking for a reasobably priced scanner for 6X6 negs and slides.

I have VueScan... now need the scanner.

What does a good job without costuing a fortune?

G'Day Richard:

How long is a piece of string ?
z04_cowboy.gif

As you mentioned 'reasonable priced', I will say Epson V750M Pro. I have one, and it is excellent.

But ... you can get more if you pay more (duh) ... on to dedicated MF scanners (not flat beds) ... and all the up to the Imacons.

If $700 is a reasonable price, that's where I would put my money.

Good question. Stand back ... here come the opinions ....

Cheers,

Colin

z04_pc5.gif

I have a 4870 with the factory holders (not the best there are). I found it to render reasonable quality scans in 120. Fujichrome Velvia and Provia come out in both resolution and color outstanding (my standards, of course) but color negative may have an edge in aproaching dmin and dmax. B&W not hard to scan due to the difused light source.

I thought about a Nikon 9000. The price, a little steep, especially since I rarely shoot film now.

I was thinking on upgrading to the 700 and doing fluid scans.

ScanScience has an inexpensive fluid system for the 7xx series.

Check it out.

http://www.scanscience.com/index.html

Regards

Eduardo

You could buy secondhand. I bought a Minolta scan multipro this way and I'm very pleased with it. I scan transparencies mostly. I could compare it on 35mm with a Nikon 4000ED and whilst the Nikon was very good I preferred the Minolta, it seemed to give more detail. On 120 the scans are very good for the sizes I print which is up to 17" x 22", and they could go bigger I think.

Nik

I use the Nikon LS9000ED dedicated film scanner. For 6x6 @ 4000 ppi, you'll get a file about 230 MB's, including the black border area. Once you crop out this area, you'll have a file somewhere around 195 MB. This will yield a 24 x 24 print about 345 ppi, and a very slight s&ling will bring you up to 360 ppi - ideal for Epson printers.
Here's a recent scan I made from Fuji Reala color negative film using a 501 CM and 40mm CF Distagon.
33502.jpg

V750 Feedback

I went for a new Epson v750 !

It was a toss up between an older Imacon or a new Epson v750 - what nailed it for me was the bundled SilverFast Ai scanner software.

Epson have made a few errors though : dont even bother attempting to calibrate with the third party IT8 target (as supplied by Epson as its very difficult to locate the required reference files that are recognised after the software becomes updated - groan ) I would strongly suggest that one should purchase The SilverFast IT8 BARCODED targets as an extra instead.

I scan individual monochrome negatives (C-41 process 6x6 cm film) on the 6400 dpi setting (which uses the higher quality lens) with the original film holder / located the sweetest spot via trail and error. I also obessively dust the scanner bed and negs with a very large blower brush before starting !!

My scanned Files are approx 1 GB in size (Greyscale 16 Bit). I use the scanner on the FW400 interface !!

The quality seems more than ok for my application of image proofing !!

Good luck with it and Best Regards :z04_breakdance.gif:

Hello Richard,

The Epson 750 will do quite well for a number of applications.
Keep in mind the promised 6400 dpi setting is nowhere in sight when checked effectively..
Do not let that bother you and enjoy your new scanner.

Many forum users employ one and enjoy its results.
Simply hire heavier artillery on a need to use basis if ever that comes up.

Paul

Hello Paul,

Thank your for your kind reply and much appreciated expertise :happy:

I am considering purchasing an older Imacon scanner - Is it possibe to use an older Imacon scanner successfully with an adapter to convert the older SCSI interface connecter to a FireWire interface (that will work flawlessly with my Mac running OSX 10.4.11) ?

Kind Regards,
Richard

Hello Richard,

There is another forum user who employs this older Imacon scanner with excellent results.
Peter even reserves a dedicated Mac G4 for this purpose.
As far as I understood from him there is no way to convert the SCSI interface to FireWire.

We have to accept that time flies faster in the digital age.
Ten years is a life span that will seldom be reached for high grade digital products.
The curve is beginning to grow less steep but it will not likely reach the level that we know for film cameras.

Paul

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your much appreciated reply and expertise :)

I will have to consider the earlier Flextight with the FW interface, weighing in at 20-something kg, they certainly are huge bits of kit though !

It is rather amazing how fast research technology is progressing for high grade digital products and rather somewhat frustrating that obsolescence can be only one upgrade away !!

As for film cameras (I am a self-confessed V system fundamentalist) it must be the worlds most reliable and versatile system - I really hope that film remains in production !!

Kind Regards,
Richard.

Back