DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Best scanner for 6x6

As long as the motion picture industry does not have enough funds to switch to digital we do not have to fear film will become unavailable.

Hollywood may be moving towards digital as can be witnessed from the cameras supplied by RED for motion pictures.
The theatres are not able to do the investment needed to show digitally recorded films.

It is a strange world where lack of finance for one industry saves the users of film for the next few years anyway.

If the worst comes to the worst there is still hope.
Well over 25 years after the introduction of the best improvement in sound carriers, if you believe what marketing people said about the CD, there is still a market for good old LP records.
It is quite small but very healthy.
The one large plant in Germany where records are still being pressed has a healthy order book. They can hardly cope with demand.

Apparently not everybody is convinced that new is better.

Recent Nikon announcements....

I have heard rumors that Nikon is going out of the scanner business soon. The Nikon 9000ED is a terrific scanner for 120 film (and 35mm) and I can also recommend the Epson 750. Get the Nikons while you can.

No rumor but fact.

Nikon has stopped making the 9000 scanner.
There is still new stock available but no more of these excellent scanners will be produced.
That is what a large specilist trader in scanners told me a few weeks ago.

Well, from what I hear, Nikon is continuing manufacture & delivery of the 9000ED scanner. I had called them a few weeks ago to the afirmative. The rep indicated that there were tremendously backlogged but are filling orders to stores. I waited three weeks and got mine yesterday from Calumet Photo.

Here's an example of yesterday's scanning effort: http://hasselbladinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4723

Patience on their delivery is required. Avoid the scalpers if you can.

Nikon Coolscan

I am looking for a reasobably priced scanner for 6X6 negs and slides.

I have VueScan... now need the scanner.

What does a good job without costuing a fortune?

I don't know how reliable the review is, but at B&H, which recently got these units back in stock, a reviewer reports that Nikon does not support more recent versions of Mac OSX (from v10.4 on). The reviewer claimed that the scanner simply doesn't work unless one buys 3 party software at ca. $400 US. This may not be a problem if you are using Windows.

In a more modest price range the Epson scanners offer quality that suits many users.

My personal list of recommended scanners:

1. Hasselblad

2. Nikon

3. Epson

Please note the price difference between 1. and 2. is over 12000 USD!

... The reviewer claimed that the scanner simply doesn't work unless one buys 3 party software at ca. $400 US. This may not be a problem if you are using Windows.[/quote said:
I have used Vuescan (8.6.38) to drive my Nikon LS-8000 (via Firewire) scanner from an old white Macbook running the latest Snow Leopard. No fuss, no bother. I can't answer for the 9000 scanner though.

Dave

I don't know how reliable the review is, but at B&H, which recently got these units back in stock, a reviewer reports that Nikon does not support more recent versions of Mac OSX (from v10.4 on). The reviewer claimed that the scanner simply doesn't work unless one buys 3 party software at ca. $400 US. This may not be a problem if you are using Windows.

I know this is quite an old post, but just to correct the information. Here is my experience:

The Nikon 9000ED or LS as I think it´s named in some parts of the world, work just fine with Mac OSX 10.6.7 and Nikon scan 4. The only fault I have found, is that the scanner need to be connected and switched on, before you switch on your computer.

And the result is very pleasing. Both with 24*36 and 6*6.

Well shame on me I do not have a décent scanner. I use this setup: CFV-39 + 203FE+ 55mm extension tube + CF65mm3.5+ Bellow-Hood+ strong paper glued to hold film and hide lateral light..

Well shame on me I do not have a décent scanner. I use this setup: CFV-39 + 203FE+ 55mm extension tube + CF65mm3.5+ Bellow-Hood+ strong paper glued to hold film and hide lateral light..

In a lot of ways that's actually better than a film scanner and it's magnitudes faster.

The only problem with doing it your way is that there's a possibility of more dust on the negative/slide. However, that could be the case with scanning too, but there's digital ICE to help in those cases.

Back