DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

first impressions D100

Does anyone has experience with SB-29 and D-100?
How do I suppouse to set the camera for best results?

Sillas

An impossible question to answer, without total knowledge of the circumstances. The settings at a house party would be entirely different from the settings on a ski-slope, when shooting a formal portrait, catching children at play, shooting a landscape or cityscape at night, underwater, or doing an advertising table-top shot..

The D100 is a fully adjustable camera, designed to work at all these extremes. The advantage is that whatever the circumstances, the camera can be fine-tuned to handle each of these to the limit of the photographer’s ability.

The camera only does what the photographer tells it to. It has no intelligence at all. It is up to the photographer to study his craft to the point that he can make these decisions for the camera. There is no one-size-fits-all setting.

It is no harder to become a competent photographer than it is to become a musician or ballet dancer. All require a good bit of study and practice, plus knowledge of both the art and the craft.

Buying good equipment – which you have done – is just the starting point. Now you must take the time to study the fundamentals of photography, so you understand the impact of each setting upon your exposure and at the same time use your manual to thoroughly understand your equipment. Take your time and be very patient.

larry!

Flash is the reason why I didn'tpurchase a D100. The Fuji S2 works much better with flash than any Nikon digital camera. The Fuji Super CCD can work with any non DX flash Nikon makes. I even use a Metz 45CT4 with my S2 and get fantastic results. This picture was taken of my cat jumping off the kitchen sink. I used the S2 and the Metz.
8145.jpg

Sillas and Larry!,
As I understand, the non-DX flashes cannot be used on TTL settings with digital Nikons.
Is it safe to say that the closest automatic setting for non-DX speedlight flashes used on digital Nikons in general circumstances is to set the flash on aperature (A)or shutter speed (S) priorities? And that by setting the exposure meter to "spot meter" settings on the camera, it will compensate for a big difference between flash-illuminated foregrounds and dark backgrounds (where there is very low ambient light)? IF, of course, the subject is in the foreground, you take the exposure reading in the "spot's" tiny box, and that's where you want full tonal scales?
Or is it very much more complicated?
Helen
P.S. I did find the controls for the auto-focus helper light and it does work, too. Also, shopping news: KEH.com forgot to include one cable (for camera/TV) with the original order, so they sent it ASAP at their expense about half-way round the world to my doorstep. In my experience, their service is great, fast, and very reliable.

I cannot see the ISO value in the EXIF details of the images generated by my D100. Is this normal and is there a fix to this?

What are your opinions regarding using lens hoods...do you have them on all you lenses? Do you feel they're an absolute necessity? I use Nikon's 28-105/3.5 on my D100...it's an awesome combination, I think...I have the lens hood & use it, but am wondering if it's even necessary??? What do you think???

Lens hoods are often ( but not always )needed while using wide angle lenses and "normal" lenses ( 45 mm, 50 mm, 55 mm ), specially if the light is almost in front of you.
I own 3 hoods and so far I haven't use them. I always play with the position of the camera and the light or use sometimes the palm of my hand as light shield.
I find a bit cumbersome to use the hood and most of the time to remove it to store the lens in the bag( otherwise will not fit with the hood on ).
Screw on hoods also damage the finish of the lens thread.

Back