DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Finally what I expected from the Hassy

lbarbish

I finally ordered a split focus screen. What a difference.

Attachments

• 2011 FQ Fest (7 of 12)-2.jpg
    EXIF
    2011 FQ Fest (7 of 12)-2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 17
  • 2011 FQ Fest (7 of 12)-2.jpg
    EXIF
    2011 FQ Fest (7 of 12)-2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 17
Thank you

I know it isn't really stunning like many examples here on the forum but I am pleased that I finally can see enough to focus. One of the other issues I am finding is I have a lot of "faded" looking shots. I know it is my exposure but unsure what to do about it. This one for example.

Attachments

• 2011 FQ Fest (8 of 12)-2.jpg
    EXIF
    2011 FQ Fest (8 of 12)-2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2011 FQ Fest (8 of 12)-2.jpg
    EXIF
    2011 FQ Fest (8 of 12)-2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 6
Are you using print or slide film? If print the fading could be the result of bad processing. If the processing isn't good you'll get pictures like yours regardless of the exposure you use.

Terry

Bad processing is something I am dealing with

Terrydent,

I am glad you think that. I have sent off my film to Schiller's in St. Louis and they do look a lot better. I have argued with the local developer here in New Orleans. I use print film and when I give them both black and white and color film they use the same chemicals in the same machine which I don't think is the right thing to do. Also, they never want to give me a high resolution scan. I hate to send the film away for both the time delay as well as the shipping costs but think I will have to. I don't know that I want to get into developing my own b&w and scanning myself. Unless there is a way to get into it at a reasonable cost. But then that still leaves the color film issue. Should I try slide film? What kind?

One of the other issues I am finding is I have a lot of "faded" looking shots. I know it is my exposure but unsure what to do about it. This one for example.

It looks like your film is underexposed.
Check your light meter for calibration or simply get another one.
Light meters are real bargains these days.
Evilbay offers anything from the classic Weston to older and more recent Gossen and Sekonic meters.

Speaking of focusing screens......could anyone tell me what the standard/stock focusing screen on a 503CXI might be? I'm hoping it is an Acute-Matte microprism/split image screen, but I'm afraid it may just be some version of a standard, ground glass style Acute-Matte. I would prefer to get a 503CW to use with my CW winder, but the 503CXI is less than half the price and I would be ok with it, but only IF the CXI had the microprism/split image screen. I've searched the Web, but haven't found an answer.

Gary

The 503CXi came with an Acute Matte with cross hairs.
Of course the original screen may have been changed for another AM.
Some sellers fit a first generation focusing screen and sell the AM seperately
to increase the total amount they get for the camera.

The AM with microprism and split is partnumber 3042215.
From 2002 that AM was fitted as standard screen to 503CW bodies.
Always check what focusing screen is actually fitted to a body.
Screens can be changed in 15 seconds!

Back