DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contaflex

G

george_mann

Anybody have any experience with this body/lens system?

I currently use a Contax 139 Quartz with a Zeiss 50mm f1.7.

I am interested in the Super BC model.

Is there any issue's with this system?

I know about the front element seperation with the 35mm and 85mm.

I have also heard about a possible issue with the film spool.

Nonetheless, I think that this is a unique and interesting model.

Hi George,

A second hand Contlaflex (1954 model) was what introduced me in photography when my father gave me it back in 1974 as a gift. Please, visit the following pictuers, all taken recently by me with a Contaflex:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1330726&size=lg http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1330774&size=lg http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1330992&size=lg

Any model of Contaflex will produce excellent pictures, although the Super BC model has an improved, recomputed Zeiss Tessar lens, yielding even better images.

Watch out for cameas not used since long ago. This can produce some problems with the shutter, specially at low speeds. Also always verify that the diafragm stops-down quickly enough when shoting. For this, select the B position for speed and f/22 for diafragm. Just when shooting, it must stop-down instantaneously.

Later, after buying the camera (I can tell you it will give you a lot of satisfactions) never let it more than a month without shooting at every speed -no film inside-, just to keep it in shape!

Best from Oviedo, Spain, Luis Argüelles Owner of Contaflex (1954) and Contaflex Super .

> Just wanted to say I really enjoyed your post, Luis. I'm enjoying learning about some of the older contax gear, and this was quite interesting! The photos you linked are quite nice. They have considerable depth and richness which seems to be from the fact that the shadows are so deep but clean, the whites are crisp but not blown, and the blacks are sharp. Life pops off the images. Very nice. (My favorite is the first image) That contaflex is doing some nice work with you
happy.gif
Out of curiosity, what does a working Contaflex go for on average? Best, Lynn L.

Hi Lynn,

Thank you very much for your comments about the pictures (I also like the first one the most!). Ok, about prices, Contaflex cameras can be had between 50 and 100 Euros on E-Bay. Models Super B and Super BC are in the upper limit, while a Contaflex Super can be had for about 75 Euros. The 1954 model can run for 50-60 Euros. All are real bargains!

Cheers, Luis

Do both the Super B and Super BC models have the re-computed tessar lens?

Hi Michael,

>>> Do both the Super B and Super BC models have the re-computed tessar lens? >>>

As far as I know, yes, both the Super B and Super BC have it. Anyway, other previous models of Contaflex have great Tessar formulations, too.

Happy "Contaxing", Luis Argüelles

Great address!. Thank you, Lynn.

German manufacturers of cameras always include one trick or two in the manuals that make you aware you have yet something to learn!

Cheers, Luis

Many thanks Luis.

My affection for the Tessar goes back to the 1940's when my father passed on his love for photography in general and Zeiss lenses in particular (well he also loved the Heliar). I was struck by the quality of the pictures you posted.

When you eliminate the obvious high quality of you technique there is still a lot of lens character evident - in hope of acquiring a similar lens and because of the ridiculously low price a bought a Contaflex super B. I look forward to seeing the results.

I have little interest in lens tests - for me a lens cannot recreate reality, only provide that combination of distortions that fits my creative vision. Your images were just great.

Regards,

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your words about my pictures. Thanks to the Contax forum, not only it is a pleasure for me to take pictures, but also sharing them with people here!

>>> My affection for the Tessar goes back to the 1940's when my father passed on his love for photography in general and Zeiss lenses in particular >>>

This was exactly my case, also. I've just uploaded two pictures taken with the Contaflex and Tessar 45mm lens:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1566935&size=lg http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1566936&size=lg

About the Tessar, I remember that Zeiss introduced the use of "rare lands" in the formulation of the Tessar lens' glass at the first of the 60s last century, very much like Leica did with the Summicron.

>>> When you eliminate the obvious high quality of you technique there is still a lot of lens character evident - in hope of acquiring a similar lens and because of the ridiculously low price a bought a Contaflex super B. I look forward to seeing the results. >>>

I'm completely sure it will give you a lot of satisfactions. As you know, there are some Pro-Tessar lenses to use with the Contaflex (35, 80 and 115mm, I think to remember), but I would say that the Contaflex was designed specially to be used with a normal lens.

>>> I have little interest in lens tests - for me a lens cannot recreate reality, only provide that combination of distortions that fits my creative vision. >>>

I can't agree more!. In fact, when taking pictures with a Contaflex, I have the feeling that despite what I'm photographing, the image will result interesting. I think this attitude helps a lot also in trying to get good images.

Cheers, Luis

Back