DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

ZeissIkon Super Ikonta

W

writing4me

Hello everyone,
I'm curious if anyone knows how this might be done with one of the Super Ikontas, if it can be done at all.

I was reading about other medium format rangefinder cameras that offer a close focussing attachment. For ex&le, with the Mamiya 7 II, you can buy a bracket that attaches to the bottom of the camera that lets you compose at 10.4 inches looking through a wire frame extended in front of the camera. You can only shoot at this one distance, and the lens has to be set to 1 meter I think. I keep wondering, if this is only a means of showing where the frame lines would be with that physical frame in front of the camera, why can't that be done with any rangefinder - like the Super Ikonta? The only thing I don't understand is HOW you would know where the framing should be. I am not explaining this well - mostly because it is a new concept to me - but if anyone has any thoughts, could you please comment? Would you be able to set it up by looking through the "ground glass" ?

Thanks very much,
-Lynn

Hello Everyone,

Problems with a purchase. Please help me get a grasp on this situation. I've just purchased my first Zeiss-Ikon Super Ikonta 532/16 folder. My first ever medium format folder. I paid $245 + shipping for it from a seller on Ebay. It was to have been fully restored to like new working condition. It was sold as a user rather than a collectible due to showing signs of average use. I was looking for a good shooter, so this seemed perfect to me.

The camera arrived a few minutes ago and I am very worried. Before I contact the seller, I want viewpoints of others who know these cameras. I have been using the manual posted by one of the other members of the list, so I understand how it works.

(1) When looking through the lens (Tessar 80/2.8) with the back open, from the front or from the rear, there is a distinct white haze in the lower right (lower right when viewed from back) of the lens. Is this fungus?

(2) The shutter speed ring turns very hard and feels like it could take the skin off my fingers it moves so hard.

(3) The aperature ring won't move at all. Is there a trick? A button to push first? I won't push it hard as I don't want to make it worse.

(4) The camera back opens very hard! On the OUTSIDE of the back, it says Super Ikonta 532/16 and this is supposed to be a 6x6 camera. The opening for the film carrier looks 6x6, HOWEVER, st&ed into the metal of the door- back, on the inside of the camera, it says Zeiss Ikon Film B2 - 6x9 * 2-1/4" x 3-1/4" * Is this normal??? There is a great deal of paint loss inside the camera around the film carrier area.

(5) There is a dent on the bottom of the camera, on the metal strip just below the door that opens for the bellows. There is a very slight depression on the back of the camera just next to the N of Ikon.

(6) Just a few minutes ago, the wind mechanism for the film advance suddenly decided not to stop at all... you can continually wind it.. but that doesnt' allow me to fire the shutter any longer! (Earlier it was working)

(7) I almost forgot to mention, the focus wheel turns somewhat hard, but gets very stiff at one point around 20 feet (before infinity) then loosens up a little as it reaches infinity.

Am I right in gathering that this is a lemon? Have I beed duped, or am I being too hard on the camera?

Please please advise!

Thank you, -Lynn L.

Dear Lynn,
I don't know anything about that camera model but it does sound extremely dubious from what you write. Can you get back to the seller and voice your concerns? It sounds very disappointing.
Best,
John

> Lynn,

it doesn't sound good. It's common for the shutter speed dial to offer a lot of resistance. I've been told never to move it while the shutter is cocked. Mine is especially tight on the maximum speed, but everything works OK. The aperture should move easily. Open the shutter on B and watch the aperture open and close. The focus should also be smooth. I don't have the exact camera you have, (mine doesn't have a rangefinder) so can't give you better advice. There is a classic camera forum on photo.net where you will be able to get expert advice about it: http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1903

You paid a relatively low price for this camera, and it might be worth getting fixed up by a technician. But from the way you describe it, it doesn't sound like a good user.

good luck,

Neil

> Lynn,

If it was advertised as working perfectly then it should do so. Look into complaining through ebay, they likely have some way of dealing with this, and contact the seller and inform them of your dissatisfaction. Check the sellers ad and see if they have a return policy or if they sold it 'as is'.

Paul

I have this same camera and the speed setting wheel turns hard too. = The focus and the aperture turn freely. The film advance is a bit = quirky. If I remember right you should open the back door close it the = try to advance the film forward. When it stops push down on the frame = indicator and turn it to 1 the cock the shutter and fire. If this does = not happen then there is probably a lot of dirt in there or old = lubrication. There is a site which shows step by step how to tear the = film advance apart. Do a Google search for this. Cleaning the shutter is = more involved. For this you should send it to a pro. Hope this helps.

Art Schlaman

Thank you all for your advice. This was from a seller who restores classic folders regularly, and this camera was sold to me as a fully repaired to WORK as good as new, even though it was described as looking like a user. I think it is time to put this information to the seller and see if he stands behind his gear. By the way, I have gotten the shutter to fire again, but I can't say why it suddenly started working again. I've looked closer at the haze in the lens, and it is most apparent when looking out a bright window, then you can also notice what I can only describe as an ugly snowflake in there too. It is very disappointing as I wanted to use it this weekend on the fall colors. I'll let you know how it turns out. -Lynn L

Hi Lynn, Sorry to read of your camera problems. It sounds as though you have gotten some good advice from other list members. I have the name of a technician that works on these cameras, if you are interested. Please contact me directly and I will forward it to you (I have the same camera in perfect condition and love using it). I hope that you can salvage your fall color weekend.

Doug

Just to follow up, I have good news.

But first, Art you were right about the film advance quirk causing the disabled shutter and continual winding of the film advance.. what a quirk that is... Thank you!

I have heard from the seller. He stands behind his camera. He asked that I return it and he will make everything right. I think that is a fair enough offer and I will see how that goes. The only issue I am uncertain about is the lens itself. It is the Opton Tessar and I was told by other people that is easy to clean. The seller feels that it is most definitely NOT fungus, but that whatever it is will not affect image quality. I will have a friend look at the lens this weekend to diagnose what I am seeing. He recognizes things like this better than I do.

Thank you all for the good advice. It most certainly helped. At least I could make an intelligent message to the seller based on what you all told me.

Best, -Lynn PS: Doug - I would still like to hold onto the name of your repair person if you don't mind? Feel free to email me at Lynn at turnkeydesign dot net (address broken up to fool the spammers)

Back