DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Speedlite SB800 Remote Question

I have one SB-800 flash unit, and a Nikon d80...

can i use this flash remotely by itself...if so how... or do i need multiple flashes... also can it work remotely with the built in flash..thx

Hi

Yes - you just need to set flash in your menu to "control" and then swith the sb-800 to wireless using the settings recommended for your region (mine are C channel) and you use the onboard flash to fire the wireless sb-800 - it's all in the manual.

Cheers
Craig

Hello Daniel,

indeed it is all in the manual (about 125pages). I have read it 10 times, i have tried it 20 times but when I'm in the feeld and I want to use it I still need my manual (or my notes). No ... it is not that difficult but you need to spend some time whit your manuals (both d80 and sb800). It is a complex system. Try al the settings that they discribe at home. You need to learn to use your channels.

You can use your camera as a wireless commander for your sb800.

A help could be, that you write some settings on a card that you will always keep with you on the field, this as a reminder. It will be a great help for the nexts few mounths. After that you will not need it anymore.

Good luck
Marc

In the D80 manual see pages 96 & 97.

In the SB800 manual see pages 76 thru 79.

You should also look for online discussions under "CLS", "commander mode" or "remote wireless flash with SB800".

Same basic rules apply for my D200 and SB600s that I use.

Good luck,

Jim M.

Back