DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T3

Is there anywhere I can find additional technical information on the functioning of the T3, beyond that in the camera brochure and owner's manual? Thank You.

I'm in the process of (possibly) buying a new T3 at E-bay. The seller (in Hong Kong) has the original and blank international warranty. Does anyone know if this will be of any use to me?

I've also read comments referring to "grey market" cameras. What does this mean?

Also, could someone please explain how the filters and adaptor stay on the lense of a T3 - does it not retract into the body and behind the protective curtain?

Thanks for your help.

Ken

Make sure you get the blank warranty card as you will need it if service is required. You may want to check with Contax USA (if you live in the States) directly to make sure they will honor the international warranty.

"Grey market" means that the item is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty, because the manufacturer's licensed or authorized agent or representative did not import that item into the USA and did not sell it to the retailer to sell it to you. If you buy a "grey market" item from a reputable dealer, the dealer will cover the item under its own warranty service in many cases. B&H does this but I can't speak for other dealers.

To use T3 filters you must purchase an adaptor ring. The bayonet-type ring fits in front of the lens cover but on the lens so you can close the lens and still leave the filter on (Works nicely). The only inconvenience is when you want to also add a lens hood in front of the filter. To change filters in this situation you must remove the hood, change filters and re-attach the hood, which is a pain. The filter size is 30.5mm, by the way. B+W makes many filters in this size.
Hope this helps.

John McCormack, Moderator
T3 User forum at http://www.contax.org.uk/

Ken,

why trade with HK? I think I know who you are talkign about and guy is really solid when it comes to equipment. But there is also a similar guy here in NYC. I bought most om my Contax G line from him. He has brand new t3s for 579. Store name is Camera Traders (www.cameratradersltd.com). But if you decide to work with you Hong Kong guy sleep soundly since few people that I know that bought some Xpan lenses from him are very happy and satisfied.

Matt

> you are looking at around US$470.00 for a regular version T3 in HK from a > reputable shop.

You have to accept some risk for dealing with any foreign traders. The price of camera is generally low in Hong Kong mainly for dutyfree reason. Please try to evaluate the reputation of individual trader (US or other countries) which is the most important.

Thanks to you all for the feedback. I think I'll go ahead and get the T3 from the Hong Kong guy - he seems to have a good e-bay customer rating. Thanks for the tip about NYC, Matt, but I live even further from there than HK (I'm in the UAE) so I don't see the advantage.

I now have another set of questions. I want to buy a couple of filters for b&w photography. If I bought only two, which colours would you suggest, a light yellow and an orange? I like the idea of a red for real drama. Is it worth paying almost double for multi-coating? What would be the advantages/disadvantages of using a light yellow filter all the time? I read somewhere that Wilfred Thesiger did this, and I love his desert photos.

Thanks for your help. It's great to have a forum like this to help the less knowledgable of us to avoid making some horrible and expensive mistakes.

Cheers,

Ken

Can anyone help with this small problem.
I am using 30.5 mm filters on the T3.
Page 61 of the instruction manual says that Contax Tvs metal lens cap K-34 is for use with the Contax metal lens hood or filters.
Maybe it fits the lens hood, I haven't tried this item, but the K-34 cap is to big to fit the filters.
Any suggestions?
Andrew

Back