DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Subject matter suggestions

W

writing4me

Hello all,
I'm looking for suggestions. At this time of the year all the leaves are off the trees, the crops are mostly harvested from the fields making them brown and tan earth, and overcast cloudy days out-number the blue sky days. Snow isn't due for a while yet. At these times I am hard pressed to find inspiration to shoot. There are some towns with attractive buildings, but other than that I'm at a loss for subjects. So, I am hoping you will share some of your favorite things to shoot and maybe those will give me some inspiration.
Thanks,
-Lynn

No leaves? Try bark! No crops? Try stubble!
Hang on! If the leaves are off the trees .... then .... they must be on the ground!

Overcast cloudy days....great for Fungii. Short days .... long nights ... sounds like a perfect scenario for astrophotography!

And the snow will be here soon!

Have fun Lynn!

Cheers, Bob.
happy.gif

I go to the ocean this time of the year, where the once crowded beaches are empty, where the tumble weeds still make a great shot against the sky at sunset.

Rick

>Load some B&W film and shoot the naked trees against a pale sky. > A good idea to play around with contrasts.

That's the nice thing about differing points of view. When one person gets stuck seeing nothing, others still see great things in abundance. Thanks for the good ideas! -Lynn

> Grey skies do not ban image taking, there is a famous image hanging in the Tate modern london and if you simplyfy it it is semi abstract,just layers of grey and green. In fact it is an open landscape with the great river rhine flowing and nothing else but sky,river,grass.When i go out taking images i go out with an open mind and react to what i see. I very rarely use a 28mm or 35mm lens in my landscape images. 50mm to 300mm are the norm. Isolate the detail in the scene and use the weather condition to impart a feeling to the viewer. We all have special haunts we like to return to just like a fisherman, the earlier you start and the later you finish makes the chances of that special moment all the more likely. I have taken images that have taken a year or more after first seeing it in my mind, but i had to wait for the seasons to change and then a suitable sky to act as a backdrop. The image i have in mind is 'poplar trees before dawn', go to my site below and see what i'm getting at.Key into the rythym of the seasons, the changing attitue of the sun and put some water into the scene. But get there before dawn and leave 1 hour after dusk.Check out my images on www.norfolkimage.co.uk and click on exhibition for a flavour, a large proportion are taken during the winter months or when the weather is moody.

Regards

David

Check out my images on www.norfolkimage.co.uk and click on> exhibition for a flavour, a large proportion are taken during the> winter months or when the weather is moody.

Lovely pics David - nostalgia for me , especially the salt marshes as I spent time over the years in parts of Norfolk . I totally agree that crappy weather can often produce dramatic results , although , funnily enough , the winters here in South Africa , whilst colder , typically mean blue skies without so much as a cloud , unlike the summer [and rainy season]! Steve

Very beautiful images, David! Thanks for the ideas. It's funny because while I do like overcast days while there are flowers to be shot and for portraits at times, I hadn't really thought about them the same way at this time of the year. You're absolutely right. You mention some things taking a year or maybe more to come together; I can identify with that. I've been trying to capture a certain scene for a month now. I made the first attempt one month ago when the moon was full and just rising as the sun was setting, a pasture full of pregnant Belgian draft horse mares with two distant red barns. The first session was okay, but I had to learn a few things and they weren't ideal shots. This Saturday, as the lunar eclipse was about to happen I ventured out again to the same spot, stayed from just before sunset until long after and found the moon rose larger and brighter right between two distant barns almost sitting on the horizon - with those same mares milling around in the foreground. Due to distractions from the curious owner, I might not have made as many perfect exposures as I would have liked. But, it is in my mind to see how this scene unfolds each month, or possibly next year when the conditions are the same. The variables are so chancy. The mares need to be out at the right time, in the right place, the sky needs to cooperate, the sun and moon need to set and rise together (almost). Will take me a long time but I like the shot I see in my mind. (Sorry to ramble!) Again, thanks for the inspiration. Best, -Lynn

Back