DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

[But M7 had 300 parts more than M6 , I always worry about M7's hardiness compared with M6 ttl]

M6TTL, M7, MP? What are your priorities? MP, all mechanical, retro, with best RFDR patch, flare free. M7, auto capability, improved RFDR patch. I don't think that the 300+ parts should influence you. The average SLR from the '70's had 1500 parts. The Canon F-1 had 15,000. As much as we hate to admit it, some Leicas will leave the factory with defects. That's what the warranty (either from Leica, or used, from the dealer comes in).

Rickyan

Tom has summed things up very well. The actual operation of the M7 is very close to the M6 TTL, which seems to be the reason behind Leica dropping the mechanical M6, and replacing it with the retro MP.

The only difference being the M7 has an electronic governed shutter like 99.99999% of cameras made since the 1980s.

The elec. circitry of both the M7 and MP has been improved over the M6. Modern camera electronics such as those used in the M7 are very reliable and you shouldn't have any problems there. For the money you spend you can rightly expect top quality. The Leica warranty much more generous than the usual.

Choice comes down to the sort of photography you do.

And I quote from a recent e-mail from Solms:

" Therefore, if you buy a camera from the present deliveries beginning with 2 850 ... you may sure to get the newest type with improved viewfinder. "

Caveat Emptor

Makes me wonder. When I bought my M4P, they said canada was a great place to make stuff. Same quality as the mother land.

When I got an early M6 they said it was a great step up in quality. Now it seems everything I was told was wrong. I must get an MP as everything else was not as good. Solms has almost lost me as a customer.

Generous warranty, you are paying for it!! IMHO, the only thing out of Sloms that is generous is their words.

B2 (;->

I've heared similar noises from other manufacturers. No company is a charity, not for very long anyway. Something to do with sharemarkets and operational profitability. Capitalist propaganda is every where, even in the PRC. In my experience one USEUALLY gets what they pay for.

Just curious, What is the 'new viewfinder' difference on the higher number M7s? is it the blinking light?
Also, a comment on the quality issue, yes, the advertising definitely idealizes, though it is a wonderful camera none the less. Owning one still won't make us immortal...
Some thoughts on the M7 or MP discussion. I shoot the m6 and think I would go MP, partly because the speed knob is the same as m6. Also, at first I thought at first that M7 automatic would be nice, but now I think a handheld meter would be nicer and to do more pre-adjusting before the camera is to my eye. I do enough plus/minus adjustment to the camera's meter that I think M7 auto would make me more neurotic, not less...
Also, the MP is prettier,,
Ciao!

I quote from a recent e-mail from Solms:

"Therefore, if you buy a camera from the present deliveries beginning with 2 850 ... you may sure to get the newest type with improved viewfinder.

Back