DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

N1 Filters

Mark, Saras,

Thank you very much for your answers! The Lee system seems very tempting, but the truth is I have never been a big-time filter user. I have decided I want to try the graduated ND filters because that is specific a problem I have actually had with slides before--just too wide a contrast range for the film. One filter may be all I need.

Given the difference in price, I think I will try the Cokin P wide angle first and try it. If it does not work with the 24-85 I can still use it with other lenses.

And your point about the hood is well taken. I had not thought about it, but it is clearly an issue...

Thanks again!

Juan

Juan, I used the Cokin P filter and it did gave me vignetting on the wide end. Although I don't remember if I had my regular UV filter attached also.

I use all Contax filters and some B+W filtes and they are great quility. I have not done any test (to compare image quality with the square filters), but why not use the best for your Zeiss lens, especially when you are shooting slide. They are not cheap, neither is your lens. Off course, your image is priceless. :)

If you need to use graduate filters, that is a different story. I would go for the Cokin X or the Lee system.

Albert,

Thanks for your response. It' s really nice to be able to hear other users' first-hand experience.

I don't really use filters very much. In this case, I was trying to get information to address a very specific issue: sometimes I have been unable to get a decent landscape because the sky is too bright. If I expose for the ground to get some detail, the sky is all washed out. I use spot-metering and I bracket, of course, but the truth is that none of the slides has the right balance of shadows and light.

I have read that sometimes you can solve this problem by using a neutral graduated filter that will decrease the exposure of the sky by 2 or 3 stops. I have never tried it, though. So I would prefer to try it without investing a fortune (Lee system = $$$). It may not work, I may not like it...So this is an experiment very limited in scope [and yes, I know that sometimes cheap accessories end up costing an arm and a leg]

In the old controversy of UV filters, now I stand on the side of the non-users (does anyone want to buy my UV filters for the G lenses??). I have a "slim" 82mm B+W polarizer that I have carried in my bag and forgotten about, I keep saying to myself I have to learn how to use it...

By the way, I like your line about lenses price--""Our lenses are expensive--of course, your image is priceless" Someone could use it! ;-)

Best regards,

Juan

Right now I use a Contax 645 with the 95mm 35/3.5 Distagon. Finding the right filter holder has always been a challenge for this ultra wide lens with a large diameter. As a result when I use ND grads for landscape shots I normally would handhold it in front of the CPL. By the way I use a Lee ND square format ND grad filter.

It is obviously not as convenient as using a filter holder, but it does the job and best of all I don't have to pay for any filter holder. But remember I do use a tripod all the time when I plan to insert both the CPL and ND grad in front of my lens. Hope this helps.

Ken

Hello,
I thought I should give a follow-up to my question regarding the Cokin P system with the holder for wide-angle lenses: as Albert said, it produces vignetting at 24mm-- even when no other filter is on the lens.

So the Cokin P system is NOT a viable option for the 24-85mm (on a happier note, the ND density filter did what it was supposed to do and allowed me to have the right exposure for the sky-- I will just have to never show the slide and crop the picture when scanning).
Thanks to everybody,

Juan

Back