DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss TeleApotessar T 400mm f4 N First Impressions

G

I used the 400mm N lens for an hour or so today and here are some initial impressions. First, and most obvious, this is a big lens. Weighs nearly four pounds and the front filter size is 102mm. The lens hood must be nearly eight inches long. It feels like one of the most well made lenses I have handled, solid, with a focus ring that is about 5 inches wide and with just the right amount of tension. The lens comes with a very solid tripod collar, and again there is just the right amount of tension when turning the lens in the collar to allow very precise movement. There is a filter drawer at the back of the lens just in front of the mount that accepts small filters - just as well as 102mm filters would cost way too much. The lens comes in a nice back-pack type carry case that looks like it would provide excellent protection.

Now for the thing that surprised me the most. There has been a significant amount of discussion regarding the focus speed and accuracy of the N1. Well, with this lens mounted, it never hunted once, just snapped into place, bang on the mark every time. Even from one extreme end of the focus scale to the other, it took probably less than a couple of seconds and was locked on. I think one reason for the speed is the fact that there is by all accounts a big motor inside this lens. The good news is that, if the fixed f/2.8 lenses that are planned use the same motor, then the N1 will truly be up there with the Canons and Nikons of this world.

I have not got the slides back yet (I will post any decent images but I was rushing), but my initial impression is that this is a high class lens from Zeiss, with the build quality you would expect and I bet the optics are there to match. It is fast focussing, accurate and I had a great time.

Would I / will I buy it. Well, this is a three week old used lens and is about 38% cheaper than the new cost. It is probably a one off chance to enjoy this type of lens and I would probably not lose too much if I sold it again in a year. I would definitely enjoy using it, so maybe I will be back there on Monday to take it home!

Simon

simon what kind of subject were u going after, when u talk about the = focus speed? i am hoping that the new lenses u mentioned are much quicker in = AF=20

I will post some images in a few minutes. I did try pointing it at someone walking towards me and it snapped right into focus. Of course the N1 does not have the funciton that my old F5 had, namely to only take an image if the subject is in focus (keep the shutter depressed and it fires when focus is achieved), so I am not sure how the CAF would fare. I suspect it would be fine.

Simon

I will post some images in a few minutes (there migth be one in this message if it worked!). I did try pointing it at someone walking towards me and it snapped right into focus. Of course the N1 does not have the funciton that my old F5 had, namely to only take an image if the subject is in focus (keep the shutter depressed and it fires when focus is achieved), so I am not sure how the CAF would fare. I suspect it would be fine.

Simon

OK, here is a link to some images taken with the 400mm N Tele Apo lens.

http://www.sclamb.com/400/index.htm

The content is not very exciting, and as you would expect, these images pop on the light table but lose a bit when scanned. Anyway, you should get some idea of the quality of the lens. The out of focus areas look very nice, very creamy bokeh.

Simon

I am behind the news again. What is the street price of this new lens?

And by the way, I had to laugh at your comment (Simon) that the images you posted are not very exciting. I would like to have your "not exciting" images close by for shooting. I was thinking to myself today that everything is so very drab and dreary here this winter with no snow. We usually have tons of white stuff to clean up the winter landscape, but only a faint edging of snow exists on the northern exposures. Very dry, very brown. Think brown/tan/beige everywhere you look. No pretty signs to shoot, or nifty doorways nearby. So, your images ARE very exciting. ;) -Lynn

Lynn

The street price in the UK is £3,995. They are being advertised in the US for about $3,500. I am glad you found my 'study in UK street signage' interesting! I must admit, a 400mm lens on a tripod is not exactly made for street photography. All that beige might get a bit drab, but then so do London's streets when you live with them all day.

Simon

Simon, Thanks for sharing the attractive street images. Can you provide more technical details? film, scanner, etc..

Albert

The film was Provia 100F. Most of the shots were at f/4. The sun was out when I loaded the film so I decided on the 100. As soon as I got set up it went overcast and I wished I had used the 400F, so that I could try the smaller apertures. The scanner is a Nikon LS30 and the scanning software was Vuescan.

Simon

Back