CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

How did this info get into the hands of spammers

Trader history for aphasiac (0)

A

aphasiac

I joined this users group yesterday to post a fs ad, and today I am already receiving spam from this username. And this is the *only* site on which I use this name. Any ideas about this?

admin

Hi Douglas,

Are you receiving spam from the username or spam to this e-mail address? What kind of spam? Do you mean the e-mail notoifications from the Contax forum? Then look in the help file.

In case you do not mean the postings/ e-mail notifications of the forum-members:

Spam on the internet to your address is very easy possible. This is a high trafffic photo site. This results in a lot of attention of spam spiders. The Buy and sell section is public, which means you can access it without entering a password (we had that for some for other threads for test reasons a while too). You posted in that public section your e-mail address.

So if you post your e-mail address on the internet, it is just a question of time when a spam spider is catching it. This is the reason why you will never see the e-mail address of our users in their profile. It is just not accessable unless you publish it yourself.

For more infos read here:

https://camera-info.com/news/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=55

NEVER post your e-mail on the internet just like that. Not in this forum, another forum or anywhere else on the internet. Also not with "at" instead of "@", since the spam spiders will recognize it nowadays (2 years ago this was different).

Hope that helps