DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New article in Amateur Photographer 2632005

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
FYI

there is a short article in the new Amateur Photographer of today about Contax and Kyocera. I will be later on in an internet café and will upload the article then in this thread. The internet connection I have currently here (I am on vacation) is too slow for uploads...

Summary: Nothing new. Kyocera quits the Contax business. for all Contax systems (G, N, MM, T and 645. Repair'service will be available for at least 10 years - depending on the age of the model obviously. Zeiss is looking for new cooperation partner for the Contax brand. No further information on who could it be more likely than others
happy.gif

I view this is actually good news if the brand changed hands to someone who really cares for the users. Let's see ...

Ken

> Being and optomist, I found the article postive. First, sounds like Kyocera isn't even sure of its' direction and may still have some Contax releases in the future. Secondly, Zeiss is committed to finding a way to continuing the Contax brand. We have all complained about how Kyocerea poorly backed Contax. The future just might be very exciting for Contax if the right company takes the name .... (I'm betting on the N-System continuing!).

Michael.

I'm actually not sure how the news that Zeiss wants to keep Contax alive by finding a new partner may be viewed as a source of optimism. Just think for a second - who could possibly become Zeiss's partner on producing and maintaining high-end Contax cameras and lenses? Just who? For Contax 645 maybe, just maybe, Hasselblad can get involved. But for entire system - I don't know any European or American companies that could get involved in such project and for most Japanese companies these days it will be also quite a huge undertaking of a significant risk that they will be unwilling to take. More importantly though - new Japanese partner will bring old Japanese problems into the game - poor service, very tight-lipped management, and itchy marketing trumpeting success of a failed product. All the same stuff we already know from dealings with Kyocera...

Stricly speaking, considering that Zeiss is now working with Cosina to produce Zeiss Ikon and some of its lenses - there is a possibility that Zeiss will partner with Cosina to make 35mm cameras, but I doubt that Cosina will be able to take over Contax 645 production.

So, all in all - I don't see much reason to be optimistic.

Back