DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A rumour but then I have been right twice before

Just a word to add to Marc's comments about the possible dodgy eBay dealings in stolen cameras;

There are now hundreds of rogue sellers on eBay that somehow manage to steal the identities of trustworthy eBay mambers and then offer goods including high end digital cameras at really low prices on a Buy Now deal. There are several ways to spot them:
Their feedback is not usually related to the items on sale.
They pretend to be temporarily out of the country dealing in bankrupt stocks when questioned - usually Europe.
The preferred method of payment is Western Union which they tell you is safe - it isn't, even with their stated safeguards.
The items are rarely photographed out of the box.

Take care!

Clive.

p.s There are still N Digitals on sale in the UK at £4,500 if anyone is that interested.

How many US dollars is that Clive?

Not that I'd pony up for a new one seeing that a mint used one can be had for $3,300. or so.

Thanks John.

Holy Moly !!!!!

That just about converts into $8,000.00 USD for a new ND in the UK.

Or more than the price of a new US Canon 1Ds with a 50/1.4 lens and a second battery.

Marc,
I see that Jacobs which is a big camera store chain in the UK have the ND for £3829.78 (£4,499.99 inc. VAT) which according to the currency converter works out at 6,782.54 USD before VAT. Yep, it is very expensive especially if it is a discontinued model but the Canon 1Ds is shown as £4936.16 (£5,799.99 inc. VAT), sans lens at the same shop = 8,741.94 USD
before VAT. It just shows the difference between UK and USA prices. VAT is Value Added Tax which is 17.50%.
Cheers,
John

Wow, it appears photography is a very expensive pastime in the UK.

In the end, I paid $4,200. for my US warranted ND, and $7.100. for the 1Ds (but that was fairly soon after the 1Ds came out and it probably can be shopped down for even less now).

Whew, no wonder Dirk was complaining about the Euro prices for gear earlier in this thread. Buying even a lens is a serious decision.

Yeah, I was told US (New York) is the cheapest place to get photo gears in general, even cheaper than Hong Kong, especially the factory warrenty models.

Marc, where did you get the ND for $4200?

>Hong Kong and Singapore is not really cheaper than the US anymore. Before the Dollar went that far south the general brands were on the price level of the bait'n'switch vendors in Brooklyn. > A big exception of this is Mamiya. Buying your stuff in HK and Singapore still saves you some money (I got an RB67 kit with lens, back and WLF for 1600 bucks earlier this year from Singapore). You may only run in trouble at customs as Mamiya USA takes the protection of their trademark (and their profits) very serious.

>

With the dollar going the way of the lire of course most of the consumer and professional goods have now become cheaper in the USA, for a while I think. One should, however, look at the total currency map. Many other currencies are closely linked to the US$ and have gone the same direction and stretch; particularly the Singapore Dollar and the HongKong Dollar, as well as the Reminbi (mainland China).
The Yen and the GBP have followed the dollar "halfway", the Euro has considerably (25% in one year) increased versus the dollar.
Obviously over time prices will correct themselves, partly or for the most. This means that the lower dollar is not the only reason why (Contax) camera equipment is cheaper in the USA, it is also likely to be the economic situation: consumer spending is down (as is the market for many industrial segments), all vendors are fighting for business, price is a crucial element in this fight. You can benefit from it by buying now, if you have and want to spend the money.

Whilst I don't doubt the fiscal reasoning of your arguments I reckon the high price of the Contax ND in the UK can be more easily rationalised. It is my bet that these cameras were brought into stock by retailers when the camera was first introduced, at full retail price, and have remained there ever since.

Unless Kyocera offer the dealers a refund or do a cash back deal like other manufacturers have done to clear old stock they are likely to remain there for ever.

Probably the only chance of moving them at full price would be through an insurance settlement. My 'new for old' policy gave me a Contax RTSiii when my tatty RTSii fell in a pond. Perhaps that is why Contax reported a burglary at their warehouse? They could get the insurance company to buy back all the dealer's stocks to replace theirs and therefore half the problem. What a plot for a book - the case of the disappearing digicam......

Back