DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss v Leica

MaxBerlin

I've been afraid to do the post for some time but it's gotten to the point where I just have to come out and say it.

The Zeiss lenses I have slam the Leicas in every case I can compare them.

If the idea is to capture the cleanest most in focus photos and then manipulate them digitally later then there really is no contest.

I can't get the Leica's to behave using the same equipment and technique I use with the Zeiss. (Novoflex adapters on a NEX7)

Is Leica just some kind of cruel hoax played on the camera world ?

Well, I've used both and can say that they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I prefer the Zeiss and have since I started to use the C/Y system years ago. I've also used Leica in both the R and M systems, but their tones and colors render differently. It all comes down to a matter of your preferences. Both are on the top of their game, so you won't lose either way.

The prices on the other hand has gotten to their heads on one of the brands, but I'm not saying which... ;) I don't shop at boutiques for gear and don't wear cameras as jewelry :lame:

PS: BTW, some lens designs don't work well on digital cameras. I've read that Sonnar designs are one of them.

+ 1 on the jewelry comment - I've realized that "pretty" isn't everything. I have some lenses with 'user wear' that take incredibly excellent photos and some that are 'minty' out of the box and don't perform as well as the banged up user version of the same lens.

Makes sense too - a photographer would have left the low-po minty version at home while a hi-po lens would be used again and again.

If Sonnars focus on to the same plane as a Distagon or Planar shouldn't they work as well ?

Crocus -

About the Sonnar comment - I looked through my lenses today and some recent photographs I've taken with Sonnar lenses.

The 40-80 Vario-Sonnar AEG takes incredible photos - Orio in MF Lenses agrees. For some reason this lens is under rated by others but I think it does an incredible job with my NEX7.

I've used a 180mm Sonnar 2.8 just last to take a photo that's blown me away with the NEX7. The scene was illuminated by a single 5 watt bulb but the Sonnar performed miracles for this atheist in a 25 second long exposure.

35jiicl.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/35jiicl/5

The 28-85 Vario Sonnar performs well in a variety of situations but given I carry the 35mm, 50mm and 85mm in 1.4 - I prefer the 40-80 because of it's size and 55m thread - meaning I only have to carry the 55-86 and 67-86 adapter rings and 1 #3 hood.

The 80-200mm Sonnar I haven't worked with enough to comment on.

Can't comment on how Zeiss lenses vs. Leica behave in the digital realm, cause I shoot film, but in the film world, I prefer the Leica rendition. However, the Zeiss lenses are equally good, just render colors differently. What one prefers is a matter of taste.

I shoot both Leica and zeiss and to be fair both are capable but for price quality the zeiss lenses win hands down.

Having said that Leica lenses aare pretty sweet when you attach them to my R8. Maybe it is just a lens for diffent situations.

MaxBerlin,

I was referring to wides on the NEX system. I've no personal experience, and I've only read about the issue. This alone kept me away from getting a NEX-5 at the time. Nowadays, I've been having the unthinkable idea of a Nikon V1 :z04_smileys26:

I am waiting for the full frame NEX to use on all my wide angles and I'll continue to use the NEX7 for tele shots.

I keep trying a way to justify keeping the Leica lenses I have. Not sure why - it only complicates things. I did do a test where an old Summarit really did an excellent job (the best) at capturing the details of fabric. Strange because it does a horrible job on other things.

Back