CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hurrah I have a 35mm f2

vishalvora

Dear All,

Just wanted to thank you for your input over the past few weeks. I have finally been able to find a 35mm f2 from a dealer and its waiting to be used right now!

Just one point, I am pretty sure its a mark 4 but can someone confirm this, the serial number is 3553845.

Many thanks,

Vishal

vishalvora

Hey Jim,

Many thanks - I can't wait to develop my first film. There is slight spot that seems to be on the inside of the front element. I hope this doesn't show up in my photos.

Thanks.

Vishal

tmlee

Dear Vishal...
so hows yr 'new' 35/2 coming along ? enjoying it ? lets see some great bokeh ex&les....
happy.gif

Peace
TMLee

E

erikvanstraten

A question to all Summicron-M 35mm ASPH-users: is there anyone who returned to an earlier version because he/she was not pleased with the results of the ASPH? Isn't it not too contrasty for color work? Aren't you longing for the wonderful bokeh of the earlier versions?

Just curious,
greetings from Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

wbesz

Erik, I love my Summicron-M 35 ASPH, so no plans to try anything from the past.

But how can you ever know without previously owning these older lenses?

Cheers

vishalvora

Hey Lee,

I have been busy over the Easter weekend bank holiday but fear not, I will be in the darkroom tomorrow night, have 2 rolls of film to dev and print. One tri-x and one 3200! I wonder how the lens copes with the grain!

Results to follow...

Best,

Vishal.

E

erikvanstraten

William,
I don't know when you started Leica-M photography, but I did in 1971. No aspherics by then (exept for the first Noctilux). The first (8 element) and fourth (7 element) series of the Summicron 35 were highly praised for their image quality, not only in the sharp zones, but also in the unsharp parts of the picture. I am just very curious (not owning an ASPH myself) how people who used the older ones now like the ASPH. I assume many photographers who used the older lenses at least tried the ASPH.

best regards,

Erik.

H

hektor

Dear Erik and William,

I use the first (8 element) and fourth (7 element) 1:2/35 Summicrons. IMHO the ASPH is a "better" lens, but for slides I do not like its pictorial qualities. With negative film, particularly black&white, the contrast is controllable, but I tried the ASPH and decided to stay with the 7 element for my type of general photography, and the 8 element for the "classic" look.

Have fun.

Justin

wbesz

Erik,

Looks like your question has had an answer (thanks Justin).
I imagine you would need projected slides to see these differences as Justin does.

Regards, William

E

erikvanstraten

Hello Justin,
Can you explain a bit why you don't like the ASPH for slides? I heard from someone he did not like the lens for color-negative work because it caused easely block-ups in the darks and the lights. In b&w this is no problem: you can change the gradation easely, but in color you cannot!

Thank you for informing us all!

Erik.

H

hektor

Dear Erik,

For the same reason as your friend experienced with colour-negative. It blocks the highlights and the shadows. The reality is that the ASPH lens is better than the film. Why I suspect the problem did not occur for me with colour-negative is that I used Agfa Portrait, a very soft gradation colour-negative film. I suspect that with "punchy" film stock such as Superia one would have the same problem as colour-transparency.

I tend to match my film to the lens in use. For the old f=5cm 1:2,5 Hektor I use Velvia 50 or Superia 400, however with the Tri-Elmar-M I use Astia or NPH.

Best wishes,

Justin

E

erikvanstraten

Hello Justin,
Great that you use the old Hektor 2.5/50mm! I love that lens too! At full aperture it's beautiful for close-up portraits (1m), at f9 it is dead sharp all over the frame. I use it on another favorite: the Leica II, both are from 1932 and still going strong. For more modern looking pictures I use the new Voigtlander 2.5/50mm on it. A fine lens optically, alas the distance setting is now, after almost two years, rather sloppy. No such thing with the Hektor after 72 years.

Regards and thanks,

Erik.

H

hektor

Dear Erik,

With the 5 cm Hektor, it is easy to remove the helical focusing mount, clean with dry-cleaning fluid (as does Leica) and relubricate with the factory lubricant. This process removed the play in my Xenon.

The Hektor IMHO was/is a better lens than the 5 cm Elmar however I suspect marketing reasons at the time directed Leica to the Summar for speed and the Elmar for simplicity of manufacture. The optical design of the Hektor required very careful assembly and the grinding of the Merthe curves was expensive. I am presently having a Hektor coated to compare with the "red scale" Elmar and possibly prove my point.

Regards,

Justin

E

erikvanstraten

Hello Justin,
No, my Hektor is fine and lubricated with the heaviest grease Losimol Magunna type 1150-A. The Voigtlander Color-Skopar is a bit sloppy but cannot be fixed completely (I've sent it to Ring-photo in Fuerth in Germany), it is however perefectly usable, but lacks the feel of a Leica lens when focusing. My Hektor is not coated, but I assure you that even when it is it's not a match against the red-scale Elmar. But let me know if you not agree. At all the comparable apertures the Elmar is better, it is almost a modern lens. The Hektor has a charm all it's own, but never looks 'modern'. Beware however when you use the Elmar on a M-body: when retracted it touches the main light shield in front of your shutter and can damage it. The Summar gives a completely different kind of image: very sharp at the smaller f-stops and beautyfully rounded at the bigger holes, but unfortunately it is quite soft and the six blade diaphragm is definitely not my cup of tea.

Have you ever tried the Hektor 1.9/73mm?

best wishes,

Erik.