CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hy6 Manufacturer filed for bankruptsy

Would you go near a Rollei product, specifically the Hy6, even at a great price. If the manufacturer liquidates there will be no support. I have the opportunity of buying the Hy6 and would like an opinion as to this issue.

pascal

Gold CI-Patron
While it is true that Franke & Heidecke unexpectedly filed for insolvency (not bankrupcy), it had to do with financial charges from the past and not because of a lack of today's orders, which are healthy (cooperation with Leaf and Sinar). I am pretty convinced that a solution will be found for the future since I cannot imagine that e.g. Leaf would like to abandon the camera system it has been promoting so much. Since Hasselblad has become a proprietary system, and with the cooperation between Mamiya and PhaseOne, Leaf basically has no one else to turn to. It must ensure that the Hy6 platform survives.

pascal

Gold CI-Patron
There have been several measures to cut costs in order to get out of the insolvency status. Meanwhile, talks with different interested companies and investors took place. It would seem that there is a serious interest in the continuation of the business, and a hope that this could materialize not too long from now. Manufacturing continued till very recently. Sorry, I cannot say more at this stage. This is a difficult time for Franke & Heidecke and its staff in particular. But it would seem there is a silver lining on the horizon.

Loss of skilled employees

I assume from your response to my inquiry that manufacturing has ceased. Therefore skilled employees are looking for a job which even though in a recession would more likely finding employment. Certainly they are not sitting at home without a paycheck. Therefore it seems the only result would be someone acquiring the Rollei name. This does not mean that manufacturing would resume since in a bankruptsy and liquidation names and other proprietory data such as patents, licenses are sold. However, again it does not mean that manufacturing resumes in fact it would be unlikely.

pascal

Gold CI-Patron
You are running too fast and too far ahead in your assessment of the situation. Do not try to read more into what I wrote than what is said. A solution, which would enable continuation of the F&H activities, is what is being looked at. Things may not be as dramatic as they would sound. As to the use of the name "Rollei", the name and rights do not belong to the F&H company in any case. F&H is licensing them.

Rollei manufacturing

I want to get a 45 degree viewfinder for my Hy6 camera. I have tried contacting the plant and also several dealers without any success. Your last reply to my post implied that the German manufacturer is not producing at this time, at least I thought that is what you were saying. As far as you know what is their current status and are they manufacturing. If not any suggestion on where I might get a viewfinde. I invested a nice sum in the camera and am concerned about service and parts.

pascal

Gold CI-Patron
Items and parts can still be obtained directly at the Franke & Heidecke factory in Braunschweig. Will send you a private message.

Congratulations with obtaining the hy6. Could you please share with all here some of your first observations and experience with it? It would be of great help! Thanks and good light !