DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

50mm f14 SummiluxM lens

I have a 50mm 1.4 summilux M and I use it with a type 12586 lens hood. I want to use a neutral density filter with this but if I mount a 43mm filter on the lens, I cannot mount the hood over it. I think I need a very thin type of filter. Does anyone know of a type of filter that can work with this combination?

I have the same lens (50mm Summilux with 43mm filter diameter. I think we are out of luck when it come to finding filters that allows to use the hood. Hoya sells series of very thin filters but I don't think they make 43mm size(especially ND). You may be able to find a right filter at camera shows/used Leica equipment dealers. Even the Leica's latest E43 UVa, does not allow hood to be attached to the lens itself but only onto the filter (there is a hood thread on the filter).

Or you can do what I recently learned how to do and tried. Buy a couple of used UV filters of the correct diameter. Then remove the metal ring that holds the glass in place. Paint the inside of the filter matte black. Screw two filters rings together (with the glass removed). Instant Lens hood. I got some 39mm B+W filters off of eBay for $4.00 a pair. Works like a charm.

John

Hi all,

I currently own a 35mm F2(M) and would like to add a 50mm. I have a choice between an 1.4 and 2.0 both used for under $700.00 What are your thoughts? Any questions to ask? Any experience with Don Chatterton, KB, or KEH?

Cheers,

Jim

James,

I guess you are expecting a more profound answer. There are many different versions of the M50/1.4 and M50/2.0. Without knowing the exact version, it is difficult to recommend you anything specific.

In general, the newer the design (not production date or date of purchase), the better the quality.

Since the M50/2.0 is easier to design then the M50/1.4, it is in general also better in image quality. But you have "only" the maximum aperture of 2. You should first asl yourself whether you really need 1.4.

If you do not absoluteley need it, then go for an M50/2.0. It is lighter and cheaper, But verify the lens design or you end up paying a lot of money for an old collector lens which is inferior in image quality.

The best overall information source about the different image qualities is the Leica book of Erwin Puts.

I would recommend to buy always the newest lens design of Leica. If you decided to go the (expensive) road with Leica equipment, then you should also opt for the best within the product line. Otherwise you pay more for the name then for the performance.

Dirk

> [ Dirk, Thanks for that! I will look into the age of the lenses and get back to you. Jim]

While I have not made any major purchases for years, I have met don Chatterton and found him to be a very reputable gentleman. His prices were very fair and he did not hesitate to answer questions.

I have also purchased from George Ury and can recomend him as well.

I have also purchased from KEH. The merchandise was described accurately, but the prices seem to be rather high. I met the owner once and he was bragging that HE set the prices for the market and was proud that he was raising them. Enough said ?

Photp Phreak,

Thanks for the comments. Do you happen to know George Ury's web site? Any experience with Delta International?

Jim

Back