I chose the Sigma because...

TheChebb

I really liked the detail, the colors, and the dynamic range of the images shot by some pretty talented and enthusiastic folks in the Sigma User Group. They were a very helpful, patient, and friendly bunch. Reminded me very much of the early Apple/Mac days with this promising revolutionary technology.
Cheers!

netzuser

Banned
Hi Chebb,
welcome to forum and thanks for joining.
Allthough we are talking seriously doesn´t mean we don´t have fun.:)
Regards
Uwe

Honkan

Why?.....

I went to Sigma SD-14? i have been using Canon for allmost 31 years by now and realy like them a lot!, i´m in to mostly nature but allso modelphotography and i saw a picture taken i studio with SD-14 and was sold! =). I came over a used one at
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
here in Sweden for a bargin of 2990 skr (370 us dollar) with a brand new Sigma 17-70/2,8 and did my first studiowork with it this weekend! and WHAT A CAMERA!, the sharpnes and color is outstanding and amazing. This is the camera of choise for me in the studio from now on.

//Mats

Attachments

foveonfan

Nice to see you here, Chebb.

Glad we have another convert over from the "dark" side, Mats.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Honkan

Dark side!

Thanx!

Well! i don´t se any "Dark side" =) i will never let go of my Canons! =) BUT! i tend to use the tools that works best in a given situation and in a studio that seems to be Foven sensors!

foveonfan

Sorry about the "dark" side reference. It was meant as a joke but I can understand the misunderstanding because of my failure to use an emoticon to highlight this.

I respect the importance of enabling the tools at your disposal to complete a given task.

There are no sides in this. We are all in the same car, only some of us prefer to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. ;)

foveonfan

Since the introduction of grey areas in all situations, I could add, in your statement, that that would depend on the traffic at the time, Laurence. ;)

Sincere regards, JR

laurence2

Since the introduction of grey areas in all situations, I could add, in your statement, that that would depend on the traffic at the time, Laurence. ;)

Sincere regards, JR
I concede on this one, Jim! I can't think of any repaste or witticism that would come close to topping the subtle, yet succinct "grey area" you mention! I'll just retreat back into my cave and wait for the next opportunity.

Guest .

Banned
(...) We are all in the same car, only some of us prefer to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. ;)
Better than driving the opposite direction on a one way street though, Jim!
Well, those who want to overtake have to change to the other lane ....:D:D:D

Hi Honkan,

welcome to the fast lane!! Get your SIGMA ready ... it does not only shine in the studio!! :rolleyes:

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

laurence2

Honkan, regarding your studio shot: a very nice image indeed. Clean and clear. Also, this is a good pose from the model.

Welcome aboard, I am pretty new too.

Laurence

foveonfan

While you're waiting in your cave, Laurence, hope you've got matches. It can get cold in them thar black holes, so light a fire and keep warm. ;)

Sincere regards, Jim R

laurence2

While you're waiting in your cave, Laurence, hope you've got matches. It can get cold in them thar black holes, so light a fire and keep warm. ;)

Sincere regards, Jim R
I spent nearly ALL my childhood and teenage years hiking with my grandfather in the rain forests as well as the high country of the Olympic Mountains.
I still do, and actually took a 10 day solo trip this summer into the trail-less terrain and up to Holy Cross Basin. It was invigorating, quiet, and beautiful. I have a basic "love affair" with the mountain meadows.

So yeah! I have a match or two in my emergency kit!

I'd show you some images, but I hesitate to put any non-Sigma images into this forum.

Got a match?

foveonfan

I spent nearly ALL my childhood and teenage years hiking with my grandfather in the rain forests as well as the high country of the Olympic Mountains.
I still do, and actually took a 10 day solo trip this summer into the trail-less terrain and up to Holy Cross Basin. It was invigorating, quiet, and beautiful. I have a basic "love affair" with the mountain meadows.

So yeah! I have a match or two in my emergency kit!

I'd show you some images, but I hesitate to put any non-Sigma images into this forum.

Got a match?
Oh, Laurence, now you are making me extremely envious! The Olympic mountains? Wow! A very beautiful part of this world indeed. It's still on my wish list to visit.

As for that last question, we usually reserve that one for some one with arms so full of stuff that they couldn't possibly reach for anything more? :)

PS. Because I have seen the calibre of some of your photography, I wish there was some way of you sharing some of those images with me.

netzuser

Banned

Hi Laurence,
it is no problem at all to show non-Sigma images here,as long as they are
uploaded onto our server and not linked externaly.
Looking foreward to see something from "before the Sigma-age":)
Regards
Uwe

laurence2

Oh, Laurence, now you are making me extremely envious! The Olympic mountains? Wow! A very beautiful part of this world indeed. It's still on my wish list to visit.

As for that last question, we usually reserve that one for some one with arms so full of stuff that they couldn't possibly reach for anything more? :)

PS. Because I have seen the calibre of some of your photography, I wish there was some way of you sharing some of those images with me.
Jim, I concur with you that it is a beautiful part of this world. I've been to many national parks and wilderness areas on travels, but I find it hard to feel that anything exceeds Olympic in pure variety and "loneliness".

While it gets about 2 million visitors per year, the statistics show that 97% of the visits were to the periphery of the park (Hurricane Ridge, Deer
Park, Ozette, Rialto, Third Beach, Hoh Valley, etc.).

All it takes to gain a feeling of remoteness, is to follow a trail until you find a place to "take off" cross country on high ridges. There is a small chance of seeing another human, but not much.

Jim, you must know me from another forum? You indicated that you've seen some images from me?

Laurence (or Larry)

laurence2

Hi Laurence,
it is no problem at all to show non-Sigma images here,as long as they are
uploaded onto our server and not linked externaly.
Looking foreward to see something from "before the Sigma-age":)
Regards
Uwe
Great! Thanks for the tip, Uwe! One reason why I ordered the SD14 is because I think (hope) that I can capture a bit more of the rain forest realm, as well as other areas in my home state, and come ever closer to the "true" colors. I really don't like the drudgery of Photoshop, but have used it to try to manipulate an image so that it appears like it did in person. I look forward to the SD14! If it works for me, great! If it doesn't...well...I would still probably keep the camera for its unique characteristics unless it was a total washout.

foveonfan

Laurence, one of the SD14's "features" that never ceases to please me is its DR, especially detail in shadow areas.

Sincere regards, Jim R