DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

News from Zeiss on Wednesday

Hi Dirk,
Interesting thread started. I fear we may all be getting carried away with hopes of a new camera. I'm wondering how Zeiss have been reacting to the recent enthusiasm for many of the Contax system lenses - maybe all they will offer is a Zeiss-made series of adapters for a variety of SLR systems. When Kyocera folded the Contax brand, how many Zeiss lenses remained produced but unsold? Or perhaps I'm being curmudgeonly and something really exciting will happen on Wednesday...
Cheers, Graham

"I don't know how well Leica DMR sells (anyone has idea?)"

As far as I know, they are backordered trying to keep up with initial demand, and coming in slowly.

If Zeiss brings forward a new SLR I'd be shocked. There are so many bodies available for both N and C/Y use it would seem fruitless... unless of course it had some incredible innovations in it ... like in-camera anti shake or something.

Only a C/Y or N mount digital body would be of demanding interest I think. But their little note doesn't seem to lead to that conclusion because it says "Millions of SLR Photographers".

What could be extracted from their cryptic note "millions of SLR photographers will discover a new dimension", indicates something that more than just C/Y or N users will be interested in.

Since Zeiss is a lens maker, perhaps like other 3rd party lens makers they have obtained license from Canon and/or Nikon to use their mounts and data bus connections ... or have back engineered such mounts? I doubt it, but one could hope.

The words "new dimension" is the truly cryptic part. This could indicate anything from size ... a smaller SLR digital camera from someone like Sony with interchangeable smaller lenses based on some existing APS format Zeiss lenses ... to God knows what.

Yes, it is intriguing. I reckon it must be either an adapter as Graham said or lenses in other mounts but if they are existing lenses, they wouldn't be able to autofocus - not in the C/Y line anyway. I reckon we will just have to wait and see. Perhaps we will all be confounded or on the other hand perhaps we will not!

A new N-mount dSLR would be the best x-mas news for me.

But, I don't think so.

Any film camera/lens won't interest me since I am very happy with my C645 and N1.

The possibility of an announcment of Zeiss lenses in Canon and/or Nikon mounts is surely intriguing.
Zeiss is finally deeply into autofocus systems (see the new autofosus lenses for Synar) so, could be not only a dream ...
For SURE they are taking about reflex systems not raangefinders, because on German version of site, on the paper there is "spiegelreflex" written on.

Regards
Ulisse

PS: Yes, we are surely boring someone talking about the old, surpassed C/Y system and films... But remember, some people out there (me for ex&le) is still using the old pre-war rangefinder Zeiss lenses on new Zeiss Ikon camera through a baionet adapter ;-)
Crazy ? :)

Hi Ken,
I can't get that page to come up. The Zeiss site says page not found. Is it me?
John

Hi John,

Maybe the number of characters of the hyperlinks are too long for this forum as you can see the back part is not underlined. Just copy the whole link onto the Address box and will take you there.

Ken

> Hi all. I was expecting something like that. But it seems that, for the time being, we'll only have the lenses, and the camera will come up later. I remember talking to a friend this weekend about Zeiss and Contax (I took him to the dark side of Zeiss), and since he's bought 2 planars 50/1.7 and one Aria. He's waiting for a S2 or a RX. Well, I told him, how about Nikon and Zeiss coming together? Nikon makes great products, their MF lenses line is impressive (yes Zeiss is better, we know) and we shouldn't forget that the first Nikon rangefinder was a prewar Contax, and the current limited edition S3 cannot hide their heritage.

But... Nikon and Contax together? Could this be a real real giant? Maybe...

So for the time being, the only thing we can do is just wait... and see... Personally I would like to see the C/Y line come back to life again, I want to put my S2 to a nice retirement. The winding hangar spring broke, nothing serious but annoying (yo know the winding lever not resting in the "rest" position, yashica spain said I had to change the whole winding mechanism, so I ordered the parts from Tocad america. Hopefully they will be with me next week.

Best regards, Robert >

Back