DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Airport X ray

Another option is FedEx. They have told me repeatedly that their packages do not go through xray and they even have stickers you can mark a shipment with that say "Do Not Xray".

FEDEX used to be safe, but they can't guarantee anything anymore and random X-raying of packages is possible, even if you pack your film at their counter. Really the best way is to buy the film and process it at your location, or choose flights with the least number of connections and bring it all with you as carry-on in a good X-ray bag. Use the lowest speed that's feasible. Keep in mind that as digital becomes more commonplace there will likely be even less sympathy for film in both regulations and in the courtesy of the security workers.

James,

I discussed this at length with several people at Fed Ex. They told me absolutely that film will not be subjected to xray as their packages do not go via commercial airliners. It doesn't mean that won't change in the future but for now they say it's true. Buying and processing film on location is often not a viable option. I travel to SE Asia where many types of film are not available and if they are it is very dubious as one has no idea how they were shipped internally and how long they have been sitting in hot tropical weather. As far as processing, it is very very rare to find a pro lab who does dip and dunk processing verses machine processing. When I travel I usually shoot 100-200 rolls of film including sheet film and the only way I would trust processing is with a lab I know well.

Guy

Sorry but legal matters don't usually work like that. It should be = precisely worded otherwise it will end up having to be tested and = clarified in court or by further legislation. Perhaps there is more to = it with somewhere it saying that there is a legal right to have and not = only to request a hand search.

John=20

> Sorry but legal matters don't usually work like that.

I don't believe that, and from what I understand my interpretation of it is theirs as well. They don't say that you can bring a coat (nor do they say you can), so because they don't say that, you can't? I don't buy that logic.

> Guy I recently flew to NYC and took along film holders full of film as well as opened boxes of film. Before I could stop one of the screaners she oppened one of my boxes I'm not yet sure if the film was damaged. I have been trying to fugure out the best way to travel with sheet film as the screaners do not see this stuff often the don't seem to know what to do with it. Do you have any sugestions for traveling with sheet film. I wondered about the cardboard boxes not being as safe as the metal film canisters etc. . . thanks Kevin

>This argument is losing its focus. I agree that the regulations provide for hand inspection of film in the U.S. I also (not having read them) bet that there is language that, in effect, says that if they have reason to believe it necessary, they can open the cans and look at the contents (ruin the film). And that judgment will be made by poorly trained, irritated inspectors backed by very jumpy and very aggressive cops. So I suggest insisting, to a point, on hand inspection, and exercising good judgment on when to back off. They have obviously been trained to say that the x-ray won't harm film. We know that's not always so. We make an assertion that is contrary to theirs, they decide we may have some other reason to resist the x-ray. They are not very smart.

Kevin,

I use readyloads by Fuji that come sealed like a MF roll. I haven't taken one through hand check yet so I can't tell you the results. I have yet to have a single problem with hand checking film in the US or in Asia, including Hong Kong where they are strict and have the worst xray machines in the world! I always try to make it as easy as possible for the security people and am polite and that seems to get good cooperation from them as well.

Since I carry so much film on a trip I decided to FedEx. My upcoming trip I have 32 pounds of film which is way more than I want to carry! I also had the same concern about sheet film (being a bit unusual for a lot of security people) which is another reason for Fed Ex'ing.

Regarding the xray safety of FedEx, I spoke with tech support at Fuji in New Jersey who sends by FedEx hundreds if not thousands of rolls of film to their lab in New York without ever having a problem. Furthermore B&H sends out film via FedEx with no problems of which I have purchased hundreds of rolls myself. If these two companies who rely on safe shipment of film use FedEx then that's good enough for me.

Good luck to all. Guy

Back