DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What do you use 35mm vs digital

[Does anyone know if Leica have any plans for a higher spec digital version of either the R or M system. The poor reviews of the current offerings, plus the price drop for changing the badge from leica to panasonic, (are they the same ?), leads me to think that the only way forward is to go nikon, canon or a brand other than leica.

Does anyone from Leica monitor this news group, if so whats in the pipeline ?

Danny ]

Leica is working on a digital R camera. When it will appear is unknown. At this point in time, the technology is NOT available to build a digital M camera. As the owner of a Digilux-1, I can testify to it being a quality camera. It is limited, but the results are excellent. I trust it enough, I shot a fast closing New York Times assignment with it. The photo looked fine in the paper. People at Leica may read this list, but making a public announcement of what is in the pipeline and not deliverable, they will not do.

[Thanks for the reply. Is there information on the leica r digital camera.

Danny ]

Danny, There is no official information on a Leica digital R camera. Sorry.....

I was a daily newspaper photographer who carried an M6 with me all the time just to shoot the snaps for me while on all the mundane photo assignments. I fell in love with the M camera while in college. They change how you see images, plus the quality of the photos was so much better than my Nikon 35mm lens.

About 10 years ago I stopped shooting daily and moved to another career. About a year ago I picked up a Kodak DX3900 as a snaps camera. Soon I discovered that I could take some serious pics with it. The ease of production got me excited about taking pictures again. Now I've moved to the Digilux mainly for it's short lag time compared to other digicams.

Now I want to shoot with my M cameras again just for that feel the M's give me in my hands. Once I get my Nikon coolscan back from cleaning I want to see how painful scanning negs will be compared to images available right out of my digicams.

Since I now just post images online the edge of the Leica M glass doesn't come through.

For me digital has re-awakened an interest in photography.

As a strictly amateur observation I have found that getting into digital has increased my use of traditional photography - so much so that i''m having to mix up more fixer than I normally do during the winter month's! I like digital now that I've gotten a rig that helps rather than hinders me. However in the digital world the number of images and storage space for them has gone way up whereas traditional techniques I only scan those images that I would even print in the wet darkroom - might only be 5 negs out of a 35 roll. For some reason I have not been as critical in my digital editing.

just my $0.02

ernie nitka

Jim -
About the coolscan that's in the laundry, have you done any b&w negs with it?

When we got this scanner a few years back I scanned a few Tri-X images with it. I remember being a little disappointed in the grain. It seemed bigger than I would get from a traditional print.

After that it sat on someone's desk for two years collecting dust. When I tried to use it again a few weeks ago the dust had settled on the mirrors and ccd causing unusable scans.

After it comes back the first thing I want to try is some of the B&W C-41 films as they supposedly scan better than traditional B&W film. If I would be shooting C-41 anyways I wonder if I should just go ahead and shoot C-41 color and convert it for images that work better in B&W versus color? That's what I do now on the digicams and it gives me more versatility. Anyone have thoughts about C-41 B&W vs. C-41 traditional color neg when it comes to scanning?

Fellow users, just in case you are not aware, a California company "SiliconFilm" is in the process of making an Digital system for FILM cameras.

Check out this link

http://www.siliconfilm.com

When it will be available is a pure guess on my part (soon I hope). Yes I know it says "Most SLRS", I am sure some enterprising person will Mill/Hack/Wack it to fit into a M body. BTW it may fit into a Bessa R series, Hexar RF, or Rollie (new one) easily since the back is like an SLR.

If the M lenses (or equiv) have CA problems, they are easily correctable now in most Photo Editor programs.

Comments?

Gerry

>Gerry,, Gerry - oldest digital scam going - this is vaporware. It's been >on the internet for the last three to four years and is going no where >fast. Nothing more than the equivalent to an Urban Legend.

ernie

Back