CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

If leica can contax can as well

marcof

Well, it's (almost) final:
Leica is going to develop a digital "M":
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Now, where is contax?
a digital G would be verrrry nice ..

socke

I gave up on Kyocera, they seem to focus on consumer cameras as the Kyocera Finecams and the Contax 300 and TVS.

They already dropped the Yashica brand and Contax will follow. My lenses and bodies will soon collect dust while I shoot a Canon DSLR instead of my RTS/139q/167MT and maybe the Leica Digilux 2 instead of my G2.
At least, those Kyocera Contaxes will be in the company of my Dad's Zeiss Contaxes :)

Volker

bobbl46

Hello Volker, I wonder if you could ask you to expand a little on the reason for "giving up" on Kyocera.

Are your RTS/139Q/167MT and lenses all still working? Are they not capable of producing the same exciting shots as they did before you gave up on Kyocera

Come to that ... your Dad's Contaxes are probably capable of that too

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

socke

Hi Bob,

my Dad's Contax II and III are still working, but as I understand it, there are no sparparts available anymore. That's Ok after some 60 years :). The 139q is FUBAR, the RTS needs a CLA and the 167MT with a Soligor 28-105 (shame, I know) is on vacation in Brazil with a friend, hope she won't lose it.
My most used Camera is the G2 at the moment.

If anything like the Panasonic LC1/Leica Digilux2 came out of Kyocera, I'll take it. As well as a body with an APS size sensor which I could use with my Y/C lenses.

Kyocera dropped the Yashica Brand, they dropped the Contax ND, and it doesn't look as if I can get a System as the Canon 10d or Nikon D100 from Contax in the foreseeable future. So I'll have a closer second look on the Pentax istD for it's small size and buy a Canon 10d later :)

Volker

bobbl46

Hi Volker .... depending on which side of the coin you see ..... Kyocera did not "abandon" the Yashica Brand. There was a conscious decision to phase out the name.... not the products). This was because they wished to give the name of the parent company name a higher profile to their wide range of products.

We have not lost Yashica products .... they are exactly the same products that we are seeing now, with the Kyocera name on them.

In the past few years we simply saw a swap-over from the larger Yashica name and the smaller Kyocera logo, to an interim stage with equal status, and finally the products are badged Kyocera. Only in some markets has the ND been "dropped".

I repeat that we have not lost the products that would have had the Yashica name on them! (I get the impression that Dirk and others seem to think that this might be a great shame
I'm sorry if I have mis-read the comments!)

I mentioned some time ago that it is known that Kyocera have a working prototype of a digital G camera. It has been reported that it has not been released due to the need for further development of it's performance with the wide angle lenses. I sure they have many other development projects on the go too.

It's a tricky area .... and I'm sure Kyocera have no wish to shoot themselves in the foot with premature announcements (not even to satisfy a few Contaxinfo wolves!) ..... especially because the technology moves on so quickly and offers either new solutions to problems or new products to superceed the problem products (!) before it even gets to the production phase!

If I were Kyocera .... I'd be very cautious to release a new product that might court as much heated debate in the Contaxinfo forum as their other digital products have

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

wilsonlaidlaw

I looked at the Epson camera on the translated Japanese web site. That looks like an L39 collapsing Elmar and not an M lens to me but that would be such an extraordinary thing to do, I assume I must be wrong. Since Sony buy an excellent VS lens from Kyocera perhaps Kyocera could buy Sony's superb 8mp chip for the mythical G3. If Kyocera did that and priced it just below the exhorbitant USD1899 Leica are asking for a non-interchangeable lens 5mp camera, the queue would be ten times round the block and I, for one, would be in it. If they use the 5mp chip they put in the Finecam S5 that I unfortunately purchased - forget it! I have this strange thing that I like to get shadow definition in my photos. Wilson

marcof

Would photokina give the RF fans what they would like to see??
digital Leica M - confirmed
digital Voigtlaender Bessa R - confirmed
digital contax G - ......

ah, I'm probably just dreaming about the latter.....

S

spluff

Hi Marco,

Where did you see confirmation of the Leica and Voigtlander?

All I've found are prototypes for a digital rangefinder by Epson (looking similar to a Bessa R).

I'm inclined to agree with Bob above who believes Kyocera are likely to be cautious. I spoke to Contax in the UK last week, and their sales department was very cagey on the discussion of new digital products. My impression was that there isn't anything new around the corner, but I'm prepared to be surprised!!

Cheers, Saras

marcof

Saras,

maybe I shouldn't have put confirmed in the text, but at least strong signs:
epson/voigtlaender:

leica digital M:

Although these are not really 100% confirmations, it is _very_ likely that this will become a reality soon (2005).

S

spluff

Hi Marco,

I'd like to try one of those - the leica and voigtlander lenses are little crackers. But I'm not sure how big the sensor will be.

If we're waiting till 2005, then I think Contax will have something out by then. My money is on an announcement at Photokina.

It'll be interesting to see if anything is launched next week at the Focus-On-Imaging show over here in the UK.

Fingers crossed!!

Cheers, Saras

bobbl46

Hi Saras

If they have anything for Focus .... they are keeping it absolutely top-secret! Even my spy-in-the-c& has come up empty.

Looks like it'll be just the SL400R, the Finecam M400R and Finecam M410R they previewed at PMA last week, if they have got them from Japan in time. You'll have to view the usual sources for mentions of the M400R and M410R, Webmaster thought I was advertising and cut my message about them in another thread, last week!

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

S

spluff

Bob,

Somehow, I suspect you are right - there probably isn't anything coming out. Still, I can grill the guys on the stand about their future plans.

What would be really depressing is if the other stands have really nice things - the M400R and the M410R hasn't really got me wild and excited!!

Oh well, never mind, I still love Contax.

Cheers, Saras

wilsonlaidlaw

Had another look at these Cosina/Epson/Voigtlander digitals and I ask myself "do the Japanese have the equivalent of an April Fool's Day"? A film advance lever on a digital???? The dial on the top looks like a crib off the instrument dials on my wife's Lexus IS200. I suspect they are just publicity mock ups to see if there would be any interest. I also looked at the computer generated image of a possible digital M - I don't think so. What is the point of making a small rangefinder into something bigger than most digital SLR's without the advantages of an SLR. A digital rangefinder must be close to the same size envelope as the original if it is to be successful.Wilson

derekstanton

I would respectfully disagree with Mr. Laidlaw.

1. I read somewhere that the advance lever is used to cock the shutter. Not too much of an unwelcome 'feature' for an audience that shuns autowinders.

2. I kinda like the analog dials on the top panel. Not sure what they're for, although the notation says "meter." As it seems to be a multi-function analog dial system, perhaps battery charge, light metering, and exposure counting are done here? Whatever. It's surely not going to be the most 'accurate' way to view any manner of quantity data, but it lends some character.

3. I don't believe the size of a Leica-M digital is required to be smaller than an SLR. Leica-M users will welcome the opportunity to use the lens lines they already own. As well, they're already convinced those lenses are superior to other brands, so unless the M-digital is unmanageably large, that won't be too much of a detriment. As well, Leica folks sometimes attach manual winding mechanisms or motor winders to the bottoms of their Ms, and a digital module shouldn't be too much taller.

4. I don't disagree that the model in the case is probably intended to garner interest and judge demand. Epson, Cosina, and Leica are probably all monitoring the various boards to see if there is a market, and at what price. [Note that i didn't include Contax/Kyocera in that list. I don't know WHAT if ANYTHING they've been 'monitoring' lately.]

fotografz

Saras, I think you may have missed the point of the Leica mock-up.

It is representing a modular digital accessory back for the M.
In other words, a film OR digital camera at the whim of the owner, even using the camera they own right now. This is a fairly likely prospect given that the R digital is being built that way. Leica has said the R has priority, but the M digital solution is drawing from that experience to hurry it along. Leica has also gone on record as saying the M digital will be 10 Meg or larger to bring it to image quality expectations of Leica shooters.

derekstanton

Marc,
Where have you seen a Leica mock-up of a digital M? I've only seen a photoshopped M-digital 'illustration' by a person who just likes to speculate on such things.

Do you have a link?

Thanks....

S

spluff

Marc,

On reflection, you are probably right. It's quite a neat idea really - and given the way you change the film on the M's - it would be quite a quick thing to use different backs.

Still, whilst it is all speculation, it does keep Leica in the public eye. I wonder if anyone has done a mock-up of a Digital G3... :)

Cheers, Saras

fotografz

Sorry Derek, I was referring to that speculative Photo-Shopped image as not being that far fetched in terms of configuration.

Given that Leica has linked the development of their R digital solution to the newly announced M Digital that's coming. The R is a modular design that allows current R8 & R9s to be converted to digital and then back again at will. I believe Nikon is close to announcing a F solution that is similar.

Another piece of news linked to the Leica venture with Kodak and Imagon was the announcement that Kodak had used their new micro lens technology to correct the ills of the full frame 14 meg 14n. This MAY mean that the new Leica R module and the M Digital could be full frame @ 10 megs or greater.