DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Third-party flash for Aria?

sircarl

I just acquired an Aria, and am looking for a compact TTL flash for it. I know there are several Contax flashes that would work with the camera. But does anyone here know whether there are TTL flashes from other manufacturers -- like the Nikon SB-30, for example -- that would work also? If so, do I need to find one with that has five hot shoe contact points, similar to those found on the camera?

Hello,

did you look after www.metz.de ? They offer different flashes, also for Contax. But they all have a greater size. Maybe to great for you ?

Greetings
Heinz

Heinz,

Thanks for the suggestion. But you're right, Metz flashes are bigger than I want. I'm just looking for a compact flash to use occasionally for fill flash and the like. I suppose I could just get an old Contax TLA 20 or 30, but I was hoping for something more modern that would still give me TTL, and perhaps use a lithium battery, for lower weight.

Hallo,

yes it can be diffucult to find many different types of flashes, especially for a camerasystem who is not longer in action, from the "builder".
On the other side, I often think: I used long time only flashes with built in lightmeter. I want to say, without the possibility of metering through the lense. And it was no problem. Yes, even it was very easy to use different f.stops. I often think, easier then now to make a picture with flash, for example with +/- 1/2 f.stop.

Greetings
Heinz

Yes, I agree. The non-TTL flashes worked fine in most cases. I even have one or two knocking about, and there would be no worries about compatibility. Well, if no on else here has any information about non-Contax TTL flashes for the Aria, I may end up with one of my old ones.

Would the TLA360 be too big? It can take high-powered rechargeable batteries and has all of the bells and whistles - TTL, zoom, fill-flash, etc.

I also have a Metz flash (36CT2 that must be twenty to twenty-five years old) that used an SCA adaptor. Are these type of adaptors still available?

Nick

Take a TLA 20

Hallo,
I would advice you to take an Contax TLA 20. This flash is light, takes 4 AA cells (NiMH works) and cheap to get.
Please let me know if you want to get one.

Fill-in flash

Would the TLA360 be too big? It can take high-powered rechargeable batteries and has all of the bells and whistles - TTL, zoom, fill-flash, etc.

I also have a Metz flash (36CT2 that must be twenty to twenty-five years old) that used an SCA adaptor. Are these type of adaptors still available?

Nick

Hi Nick. You are extolling the virtues of your TLA360. Do you use it with an Aria? If so, do you think you could help me with my question about how to achieve fill-in flash with the 360/Aria combination?
(question posted in May 2009 but yet to generate a single reply)

Cheers, Drew

I don't know much about the Aria, I'm afraid. Is it an updated 139? I've used the TLA360 with an AX on a couple of occasions, and I have an RTS II and a 137 but have never tried it with them. I've never really seen the point of flash, though I've bought enough flash guns over the years. It always seems unnatural in my hands. And I keep hoping that I'll find a use for them!
It works well enough, but it's much easier to tell what's going wrong with a digital camera to get instant feedback. I have used it successfully in semi-manual mode on an Epson R-D1, i.e. select the focal length being used and the focusing distance and read off the f-stop to use from the calculator.

Nick

Back