DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax TVSD vs. Sony V1

>Oh, and just to comment on the comparison photos. The TVS on fine setting in my opinion blows away the Canon. The detail, the sharpness, the ability to capture the shadowy areas while keeping the highlight details is excellent in the TVS in my opinion. Worth the extra cash. Look at the coffee beans and the midtone areas of the hat, compared to the highlights. Look at the tassle and cord. Very nice stuff on the TVS. While the Canon is no slouch as far as digitals go, the TVS is just that much better. IMHO. -Lynn L.

> Marc, I'm really curious about the comparison you made, since I sort of like that new little TVS. I know there was a size limit for posting the photos to the contaxinfo site, but would you mind emailing me a full size version of the fine setting TVS shot? (And if it isn't too much trouble, one of the full size versions of the canon shot?) If you would, please email me at Lynn at turnkeydesign dot net. If you're too busy, I understand.

It would be very nice if the new Sony was available for comparison in this same test, but I realize you are testing your personal cameras and appreciate your time in doing this for the group.

Lastly, I know this is pushing the limits of a fun little point and shoot, but would you ever use any of the images from the TVS in 300 dpi offset printing? (Like a brochure) The JPEG issue concerns me since there must be some compression (no?), but hearing you say that it doesn't worry you makes me feel more hopeful. If so, up to what size would be practical before you'd start seeing image quality probs in your opinion?

Thanks! Lynn

Lynn, while J-pegs do lose info when they are open and closed repeatedly, the trick is to direct download to the computer and after correcting them save as a lossless Tiff. Once converted to Tiff nothing will be loss.

I think I dumped the test images already, but I'll look.

Marc, I believe you also had tested with a Canon G3 a while back? That camera has a better lens than the S50 so I was wondering how the G3 compares with the output of images from the TVS-Digital. Any information and impressions would be great.

Hi Marc,

first thank you for sharing these testimages of the TVSD and the Canon S50 with us. But I would be eager to know, what your personal opinion is on these 2 models
happy.gif

Which one would you prefer under which circumstances?

Maybe I missed it while reading, but which cropping size from the original did you take?

Hi Dirk, Both cameras are pretty darn good for P&Ss. The Image size that comes out of each is a different configuration...a 72 dpi huge image for the TVS, and a 180 dpi smaller one from the Canon. But they are really the same. So I converted both to a 300 dpi, 10"X7.5" Tiff and did any corrections at the same size. Then proceeded to resize them for web display. Any cropping was done on the original Tiff file and saved separately., then also resized.

IMO, a P&S should be a simple camera and the Contax is simple enough to figure out. The only functional thing I dislike on the TVS is how you have to do a separate control wheel change just to dump an image.

I can also say that the battery doesn't last nearly as long as the Canon battery. I rarely have to charge the S50's battery. The Contax wears down pretty fast. A second battery is a must and isn't inexpensive. Also, downloading is a slower process unless you have an SD reader, which I do not. SD cards are a lot more expensive for higher meg counts... a 512 is about $100+ more than a CF 512.

But as usual, the glass is superior...and that is what makes pictures.

Has anybody gotten a chance to test the noise level at ISO 320 or 400? How acceptable is it when compared to say S50 and its overall flash performance? Thanks.

>=20 >=20 >=20 > [Noise is always the Kyocera=B9s pain, even for ND, ISO above 200 is not > acceptable, TVS is the same.] >=20 >=20 >=20

Thanks Kaisern. That is in fact my biggest concerns regarding the TVSD. Shooting above ISO 200 is almost inevitable when taken out to dinners and indoor parties, which are when P&S are most used. For my purpose would you choose the TVSD over a S50? I have difficulties deciding because I haven't seen how unacceptable the noise levels really are with ISO 320 or 400. Thanks.

Ken

Back