DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

135mm f28

I'm goig to buy an used 135mm to to bye itmy m4-2 and m7.i would like to know if there is a big difference between the elmar f/4 (which i can find here in durban or should i wait to buy a tele -elmar 135 f/4 in paris next april.
thanks,
walid

Dear all,

Leica -forum members (on Leica site) are now well acquainted with my Elmarit "epoes".
I now own the latest version of the lens (345...)
One must consider the weight, in my opinion - the Elmarit is huge, compared to the other M lenses and to the camera itself. It is actually heavier than M6. Personaly, i never realised it before i started using the lens. Now i need to buy the hand-grip...
For the image quality, it is untistinguishable from modern M lenses, when closed down to 5.6. IMHO.

Regards,
Leo

Leonid Malakhov wrote i never realised it before i started using the lens

Hum hum...
It reminds me something my dear Leo...
wink.gif

Dear all, > > Leica -forum members (on Leica site) are now well acquainted with my > Elmarit "epoes". > I now own the latest version of the lens (345...) > One must consider the weight, in my opinion - the Elmarit is huge, > compared to the other M lenses and to the camera itself. It is > actually heavier than M6. Personaly, i never realised it before i > started using the lens. Now i need to buy the hand-grip... > For the image quality, it is untistinguishable from modern M lenses, > when closed down to 5.6. IMHO. > > Regards, > Leo

Leo, with the grip, and the motor (at least the TMP) you cannot switch lenses without removing the grip or motor

As I mentioned above, I was searching for the goggled 135mm f2.8 lens. I found one which I tried for a day & it's massive. I decided against buying it.

There was a sale on new Leica gear recently, so I had a chance to buy the 135mm f3.4 APO instead. On an M3, the 135mm frame without goggles is still a good view, due to the M3's high magnification. The APO is also a lot handier & lighter than the old goggled 135mm.

Can't say how it compares to older 135mm lenses, as I didn't shoot more than half a roll through the loaner Elmarit I had for one day.

Now i need to buy the hand-grip...

====================================================

Please do not be so hasty jumping to that conclusion. Examine how you are holding the camera and lens.

Try this:

Hold you left hand palm up. Place the lens in the palm of your left hand. The tripod mount will probably be just behind the "cup" of your palm when it balances. Your fingers are most likely right at the focusing ring and you can reach the aperture ring with your index finger.

Wrap the lower three fingers of your right hand around the body of the camera. Your index finger should fit right on the shutter release and your thumb should be right at the film advance lever.

Now, while looking through the finder, press the camera to your forehead, press your elbows into your sides and you will have a very steady grip.

Unless you have VERY large hands, everything should fall right into place and be very comfortable. So why spend money on a grip ?

To LCT :
Alors ça, c'est un TRES mauvais coup. Franchement. Je ne parle que de mes propres impressions - au magasin, apres avoir maniée la chose, je me suis dis que l'ensemble n'etait pas gros. J'ai decouvert autre chose, sur le terrain. Et alors? Il faut me le montrer du doigt?

To Photo Phreak:

That is exactly what i do! And in fact i did, from the day one - this is the most comfortable, intuitive, even, way to hold the combo. The problem is, i really have very large hands.I NEED more surface to grab onto. The only grip i appreciate as a "grip" is the Motor-M grip; the fact that i must mount the lens first - and only then, the motor - doesn't frighten me at all.
But the thing is very expensive, i can not afford it; OTOH, it can probably damage the shutter under some circumstances...

Regards,
Leo

Back