In Av mode , diaph stays in position

mulanee

Hi,
I own an AX body with 1.7 50mm planar and 2.8 35mm distagon.
I realized this afternoon in Av mode in both lenses, that aperture remains on minimum , not depending on light conditions.
I had to push on depth field button to get normal , and in the same time , I feel somthing moving under the aperture ring.
Again when I come back to the smallest diaph.
What tuning do I have to do?
Thank you.

Piginho

Hi Mulanee
If I understand your question correctly, I suspect that you have custom function 4 set to position 1 instead of default position 0.

When set to 0, the depth of field preview button closes the diaphragm only for as long as you hold the button in, but when set to position 1 if you press and release the depth of field preview button the diaphragm will remain closed until you press and release the button a second time.

To check if this is the case, or to change it, while pressing in the release button under the ISO marking, rotate the mode selector all the way until the white mark lines up with CF (make sure the camera is switched on first). The LCD display on the top will probably show 1-0.

The number before the dash is the number of the custom function and the number on the right of the dash is the setting for that function.

Pressing the left button, just under the display will toggle through the fucntions 1 to 8 and CLE (if you leave it on CLE and return mode switch back to it's original position it will reset all custom fuctions to factory setting).

If you just want to check function 4 and possibly change it, just keep on pressing the left button until you get 4 showing on left of dash. If you see 1 on the right of the dash, we have probably found your problem. Press the right button below the LCD display to change the fuction value. It will toggle through the options, which in the case of function 7 is only 0 or 1 and you want to change it to 0 if you want depth of field preview to only operate while your finger is on the depth of field preview button.

After doing this you can simply return the mode selector lever back to it's previous position and this will store the change you have made.

Hope this solves your problem.

Regards
Piginho

Piginho

UPDATE

Initially when responding I misread your question thinking we were talking about RX, but I noted that you have an AX. The custom function for for RX was 7, but same function on AX is function 4. I edited my post to correct all but one instance in the 6th paragraph, which I mistakenly left as 7.

My 5 minute limit to correct my post expired, so I couldn't change it.

Please note therefore that I am refering to custom fuction 4 on the AX.

I have both cameras, so if you need any further help, I will do my best to help you.

Regards
Piginho

Piginho

By the way Mulanee, the AX is a great camera, once you know how to get the best from it and I know you're going to love it.

Regards
Piginho

mulanee

Thank you Piginho for your help.
It is not a question of customization of function.
No problem in P and Tv modes.
Problem is in Av mode only.
When I close diaphragm at minimum , it remains at this position even by turning the ring at higher aperture.I have to push the depth of field button to "unlock" the diaphragm;this works every time , and in the same time I feel something unlocking under the ring.

Piginho

Sorry if I haven't identified your problem, but the depth of field preview button does nothing in Program or Tv mode on the AX, it only operates in Av mode or Manual.

I've just set my AX to custom function 4-1 and notice that when in Av mode if I press D-of-F preview once the diaphragm closes to the selected stop on the aperture ring, but opens if I then change mode to Tv or Program. Of course it also opens if I press the D-of-F button a second time.

Have you actually checked custom functions to see if function 4 is set to 1?

Regards
Piginho

mulanee

After analysis , I found it's not the depth of field button.
This is the ring inside the body for diaph information which is hard to handle and sometimes remains in bad position.
I now have to find a solution to make it more fluid.