DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

News from Zeiss on Wednesday

Hi Dirk I guess you are right. I'm too focused on my own interest, which is N mount. Come to think of it, it's the Zeiss glass that I admire, and as such I should support whatever move Zeiss deems necessary keeping itself relevant. But I still worry for this company. I guess (means no data to support) manual focus market is too small even for a niche market product? Especially consider the size of Carl Zeiss? As for me I guess I'll stick with and enjoy whatever I have on hands, which is quite enjoyable already.

Anyone know if the Nikon F6 or other AF cameras offer focus confirmation in the viewfinder. If they do, then that is better than Canon which doesn't.

Marc,

this questio would actually start a new thread, I think. However, I'm not sure if I understand what you have meant with "focus confirmation". All of my Canon cameras do indicate if the autofocus was sucessfull or not. It's a little circle which is blinking when focus cannot be achieved (due to lack of contrast or such) or it is constantly on if the focus has been achieved.

Cheers,
M;los

@ Marc

I can only tell you, what is written in the prospectus for the following 3 cameras. I have the prospectus only in German.

The Nikon F6 has with AI lenses an "electronic focussing help" (whatever that means). No AF with AI lenses obviously, but no other restrictions.

The Nikon D200 and Nikon D2x have this electronic focussing help too, BUT the AI lens has to have a minimum aperture <5.6

Hope that helps

@ Ming Lee

I am in a similar situation. I have invested all my money in the N-System. Now that I have a Contax ND, it is even more difficult for me to think about switching - even if it would be a new system with new but different Zeiss lenses on it.

Since I have not had the time to really learn all the stuff I need to know to get most out of the ND, I have an "excuse" for myself not to get crazy with all new announcements
happy.gif

It is for sure, that in 2006 Canon and Nikon will again introduce new great DSLRs like every year. But if I find out (as soon I have time to take more pictures), that my ND gives me all what I need at the moment, there would be no reason for me to rush in another direction - no matter which one...

because one thing is also for sure: DSLRs get better and cheaper every year. The more time I have to wait for the switch, the more value I get for my money.

So as long as you do have already a system which fullfills your needs, you are on the sunny side of this planet
happy.gif

Thanks Dirk. I don't think AI lenses have data-bus connectors to feed lens info to the camera ... so, "focus assist" must mean the F6 will provide focus confirmation in the viewfinder when manually focusing AI lenses ... and by extension the new ZF lenses I'd guess. This is a major advantage for those wanting to use new Zeiss glass on a Nikon F body ... especially wider lenses and lenses with shallow DOF.

Canon's focusing system does NOT provide focus confirmation when mechanical lenses are mounted. Of course they will do it when Canon AF lenses are used manually because there are data-bus connections feeding info from the lens to the camera.

An F6 with Zeiss F mount glass is indeed a very good thing for Zeiss lovers. Not for me specifically, since my RX is in good working order, at least for now : -)

It says to come back next week
happy.gif

And I bet when you go there next week they push it back again. I am sure of that because of the timing.

No one in their right mind will announce anything just before X-mas or the new year.

They are just going to drag this out in preparation for the PMA, because that's all they have. Just a changed mount to fit the nikon and they are just trying to hype it up. Marketing smoke and mirror.

Hi Marc

So THIS is what you meant with focus confirmation, something similar to the system working in the Contax RX! Okay, I get it now!
happy.gif

Thanks,
M;los

Back