DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SD14 Test Shots with Nikon F Mount Adapter...

tc95

OK,

I have found a place to do my test.....First some pritty amazing things I learned today.....

Here is the Control:

Everything is shot Raw Sigma X3F format.....the controls in the sigma Photo Pro for Windows version 2.5....I only used the X3F setting for the pictures no other touch up....everything is shot wide open...and all the pictures have been re-saved as JPG small format at level 6 quality....

Lets get started....!!!!

DP1 Shots
These are my control Shots.....

View attachment 790

View attachment 791

Attachments

• DP1-Test.jpg
    EXIF
    DP1-Test.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DP1-Test2.jpg
    EXIF
    DP1-Test2.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 32
My thoughts on everything....

Ok...sorry it took me a while to put these up....did it in-between work...

Quick...any lens that had a manual adjustment for the F-Stop....work smoother than the newer lenses that do not....

Nikkor 14-24mm no manual F-Stop adjustment
Tokina 11-16mm no manual F-Stop adjustment

Nikkor 50mm f1.8...did not even post these pictures....the zeiss blew it out of the water....

The issue is that without the manual F-Stop adjustment the lens reverts back to the highest value....and everything looking thru the viewfinder is dark hard to focus...unless a sunny day....that said..the 14-24mm pictures are awsome once you adjust them in NX2 or Photoshop....so the lens is still viable...you just have to trust yourself when taking pictures....

The two lenses that I was impressed with....

Zeiss 1.4/50mm ZF.....wow what a lens...my pictures do not do this lens justice....I have to get better on taking picuters....(LOL)

Nikkor 135mm F3.5.....I did not expect this lens to shot as well as it did...

Nikkor 50mm F2 Manual lens....I keep getting very good shots with this old lens....keeps me smiling...

Mentions....80-400mm Nikkor VR...I honestly did not expect it to preform anywhere close to what it did....but it does have the manual adjustment for F-Stop....

One of the lenses I did not shot with today is the Nikkor 200mm F2 Manual ED lens....you can check some of my other posts...this lens handles like a dream mounted to the Sigma SD14.....

I think my lens kit for this body right now...will consist of:
Zeiss 1.4/50mm
Nikkor 135mm F3.5
Nikkor 200mm F2

Waiting on a Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II that I have on order...I bet this lens will be part of this kit...too....

I did shot with two kit lenses.....Nikkor 18-55mm and 55-200mm both the VR versions....(better ones)....and they are not even worth posting...they are both really dark...and you could not focus correctly....

I hope this helps everyone out...if you have spacific questions...please let me know.....

Tony C.

PS I know the pictures could be made to be sharper with NX2 or Photoshop...however since I was doing a back to back comparison I decided not to edit any of the pictures....so they are exactly as they shot out of the camera converted to JPG with the sigma software as stated earlier.....and sorry for any spelling issues....!!!

Cheers....!!!!

Hi Tony,

wow, you have done obviously a lot of work! Thank you very much for this. Many Sigma users will appreciate this.

I agree that the Nikon 50/1.8 is no comparison to the Zeiss ZF 50/1.4. Apart from sharpness, the bokeh of teh Zeiss and lens flare surpression is a lot better with the Zeiss.

I have the same Zeiss with ZS (M42) mount. Identical design also available with ZK (Pentax) and soon also with Canon mount.

I use also the ZS 35/2.0 on my Sigma SD14 with m42 adapter. This is even better then the ZS 50/1.4 for close-ups full open. So I would recommend that you look at this one with ZF mount sooner or later too.

But since you have now the Nikon mount on your SD14, you could also think about the Zeiss ZF 50 Macro. This must be a marvellous lens and not as expensive as the Zeiss ZF 100 Macro. With crop factor of 1.7, the 500mm will serve you better then the 100mm.

Unfortunately, the 50mm Macrois not available with ZS mount. So then I have to have a second Sd14 body with that Nikon mount to be able to buy and use it on a Sigma...

Best wishes

Back