DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N1 Mirror Lockup

P

phillipgeorge

A nice feature of the N1 that doesn't appear to be documented in the manual is the unique way in which the 2-second timer delay operates. The mirror locks up first, followed 2 seconds later by the shutter release. So, if you are caught without your cable release (or think that the mirror causes vibration in the 70-300 at 1/15 shutter speeds) you can capture a vibration-free shot using this method. Try it.

Just noticed that Dirk mentioned this feature in his opening post...

Yes, the mirror lock-up feature in the 2 second timer delay is great. For me, it is faster that looking for and press a dedicated MLU button each time. I just set the 2 second timer delay in my N1 or C645, and shoot the entire photo session when vibration is a concern.

Phillip,

This feature of the N1 is called mirror pre-fire and is present on the Canon D30. The Contax RTS III has MLU but no pre-fire, which gives a different photographic option:

http://www.contaxinfo.com/discus/show.cgi?14022/123839

As Albert said, pre-fire is better than MLU during an extended shoot. An RTS III in that situation might benefit from an external finder, silly as that sounds!

Back