DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

ZeissIkon Ikonta

Hello Ruben, Yes, there is a red window on the back. But I am a little confused about film advance in this camera. I thought the red window was to line up the first frame and after that the camera would advance correctly. Maybe I am wrong about that. When I fire the shutter, then I can advance the film wheel. When it needs to be advanced, a small red mark appears next to the wheel. After I turn the wheel, the red mark disappears and the wheel wants to stop turning. I thought that meant it is advanced far enough, but it doesn't seem right. I opened the back and loaded a piece of paper cut into the size of a roll of film, and watched how far it advances this way, and it is only about 1/3 of a frame. So do I force the wheel to advance farther than it wants to move and watch that ruby window? I hate to force anything unless someone says "yes that's right". Thanks, -Lynn

Lynn,

I think you can just go ahead and wind through until the next frame number appears in the window. It will be a little tight as you wind. That's certainly how my Ikonta 532/16 works. As soon as I begin winding, the little red flag disappears, but I must keep going until the frame number appears. There's no detent or click or any other indication that you've gone far enough except the number in the window.

Neil

Thanks very much, Neil. There is nothing like handling an unfamiliar camera to humble me. Your advice about film advance was right. It works perfectly now that I realize I'm supposed to keep an eye on the ruby window for all exposures. Shot 6 frames this afternoon as the sun was disappearing and hope to shoot the last 2 tomorrow and process it Monday. Fingers crossed! Actually, it was a funny afternoon. I probably looked like quite a "geek" out there with my gear. I had the Contaflex hanging from my shoulder, an Argus C3 that took over the entire middle of my purse which was slung over the shoulder courier style, and my Ikonta tucked into the pocket of my coat. The mighty little sekonic hung around my neck tucked under the coat. The poor little Yashica Electro had to stay in the car because I ran out of places to tuck cameras! One woman asked if I was "the lady photographer for the town?" A man almost created a traffic accident when he decided to be polite and back up his car to get out of my shot - I waved him forward thankfully! Wish the light would have held out longer. Oh well, there's still tomorrow. Thanks very much for your advice. -Lynn

Back