DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Zeiss lenses but not for R cameras

wang

There are a few new Zeiss lenses coming up. They will have M42 screw mount and Nikon F mount. Unfortunately, none of them will be able to use in Leica R cameras.

The Leica R lenses mount interface is slightly anterior to the plane for the Zeiss lenses. It mean even if there is a M42 to R adapter, the lenses will be too anterior. The infinity will become more proximal. The lens will not be able to focus to infinity.

However, if you don't need focus to infinity, these lenses are great. One application is in macro work.

Whilst I've the greatest of respect for Zeiss lenses ( I've owned several Zeiss lenses in the past), I cannot see any self-respecting Leica owner wanting to use lenses made by anybody else. The raison d'etre of owning a Leica body is to use Leica lenses on it. I'm well aware Zeiss are comparable-maybe worth considering if there's a focal length/aperture combination offered which Leica doesn't. But something like a 50mm F1.4 for ex&le? IMVHO crazy...

Back