DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

News from Zeiss on Wednesday

>Hi,

I own the Nikon F6 (and D2X) and it does have focus confirmation with AI and AIS lenses. I can also mention that you can set the focal length and widest aperture in a menu for data printing between the frames. AI and AIS lenses will also be compatible with matrix metering. The Nikon D2X and D200 will also have the same compability as the F6. I am not sure about the compability with i-TTL flash.

/Patrik

Well, it could be a case of if you can't beat 'em, join them. I wonder if existing C/Y lenses could be converted at reasonable cost to the new ZF mount.
John

Thank you Patrik. You are in the cat-bird seat to use some of these lenses aren't you?

Convert C/Y to ZF ? ... that's the big question isn't it John?

I'm very interested in what focal lengths will be in the ZF line up. I doubt the 85/1.2 will be included. And some of the zooms with their push-pull design are pretty old school.

As a quality alternative to Canon I'd be tempted by a F-6/D2X with a ZF 21/2.8 Distogon, 28/2, 35-135/3.5, 100/2, and a Nikon 180/2VR if I didn't have a boatload of money invested in my new Leica DMR.

I cannot place enough emphasis on the importance of focus confirmation for wide angle work in lower light. For ex&le, my new Hasselblad H2D allows me to use all my Zeiss V lenses via the CF adapter. The H2 has focus confirmation in the viewfinder when using these manual focus lenses and allows extremely fast and accurate focus with super wide lenses in low light!

All these changes and choices are enough to drive you nuts. I think Dirk has it right. If what you have pleases you enough, then just wait because it'll just get better.

Hey, maybe Zeiss will figure a way to adapt N lenses to Canon. While the N lenses can't be adapted as they are because the mounts are almost the same size, if they replaced the mount I'd bet they'd fit then. ; -)

> Thanks to Dirk we have the future lineup of lenses in our forum. But... Will there ever be a SLR camera with the Zeiss or Contax name on it again? I doubt. Zeiss ikon camera division died in 1972, and the cooperation with Kyocera went... well... we all now. So I think IMO that, for the time being, Zeiss will remain a lens manufacturer, and, should the ZF adventure go well, perhaps we can see a Zeiss branded SLR in the near future (and I wish).

Best regards and Happy Christmas to everyone Robert >

Hi

I would recommend, not to jump now immediately in the "Nikon boat". Lets remember some important factors:

1. The time until Zeiss officially will release more details about ZF lenses and any other implications regarding the Nikon System will be very probably not before mid of January.

2. The past has shown, that there is always a strong delay between announcing somthing and actially having it avalable at the dealer to buy it. This is not Zeiss specific, all companies have this "delay problem", but I think if you start with a new system, you double check more often to be sure that everything is really 100% (see Zeiss Ikon delays)

3. We do not know yet, what else might be in the pipeline. Just bear in mind, 2006 is Photokina year. Photokina is the biggest Photo-event worldwide, bigger than PMA etc. Andd Photokina is in Germany. And Photokina is only every 2 years.

So if Zeiss wants to announce something "earthshaking" at all, I would guess they would do it rather at Photokina than any other minor show.

and the rule of time differences between announcing and delivering would apply here too.

3. So I would rather wait and see at least 1-3 months before investing now already in a Nikon or any other System, to be sure not to regret it later on. We all have already equipment to make photos. This is a big advantage compared to a newcomer, who does not have yet any camera. We have time.

4. All what I am writing here is no insider knowledge, just my thoughts when sitting back in my chair with a glass of Cognac in my hand, so do not quote me on that, if at PMA 2006 surprisingly somthing gets published
happy.gif

But IMO what is the good thing about all this?

The major message I read here is that Zeiss is moving. Zeiss wants to be back on the front seats. Whether the ZF lenses will be already all they have to offer in 2006 or whether even more will come we do not know.

But for sure Zeiss gives us the indication, that they at least try to make a living also in the future in photography. And this is an important message. If you think about it, 3 montsh ago, not many people thought that Zeiss will ever make it back, since they had no cooperation partner.

So with these ZF news we all have a kind of great christmas time. We know now that Zeiss is working on at least one option for new lenses. IMO this is the whole purpose of this marketing c&aign.

Whatever will come on top of it is welcomed. I would find it logic, if they try also more options incl. new bodies and would announce this in 2006.

Zeiss knows about sales numbers of C/Y system and N-system. They know also, what increased and what decreased during the time period when both were avaliable at the same time. So I am sure they try to find more ways to make money with this knowledge. I was not that much convinced 3 months ago about this simple statement
happy.gif

Thanks Dirk,
That makes great sense.
I am tempted for my current digital needs to buy the Sony R1 which Joseph so eloquently advocates and which has a Zeiss T* lens. I would then keep all my Contax CZ and Mamiya gear for now and shoot film as I do now but with a useful digital option. It is however not cheap and would have to wait until recovery from Christmas.
sad.gif

This is a great forum and once again thanks Dirk for enabling us all to enjoy the benefits of it.
All the very best for Christmas and the New Year.

Yes, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all!

I have been enjoying this forum since joining and thanks Dirk for all the good works in the past year that let us all enjoyed. Looking forward to 2006, and looks like it'll be a big spending year ahead.

Cheers
Ken

I saw the new Planar ZF 50 1.4 in www.zeiss.de today.

There is plenty of room for improvement for the current 50 1.4 of the N and C-Y system. I hope the new one will have better contrast and sharpness at 1.4, hopefully better bokeh as well.

Yesterday, Nikon announced the cessation of MOST but NOT ALL analogue equipments. They will continue the production of important bodies and lenses so that the system still remains respectable.

On the other hand, Kyocera announced the cessation Of ALL analogue equipments some time ago. Despite the promise that the after sale service will be continued, it is evident by now that the service is not existing for some part of the world.

I am not sure what happened to Kyocera about a year ago leading to that bloody decision, in retrospect, perhaps they should have made decisions like the continued making of important lenses like 21 2.8, I am sure this line will continue to make money as the demand for this lens will not stop.

What actually happened leading to that decision could be the complete lost of interest in the production of analogue equiptments. As consumers, it just mean that we have to follow Zeiss to buy new systems.

Back