DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax flash

I use a Metz CT45 with the SCA3000 C M1 & SCA 3802 adaptors which uses all 5 pins and has all the benefits of the TLA360 including power up by the Aria, 2nd curtain flash, ABC auto bracketing, off-hot shoe flash with fill-in (avoids the possibility of red eye), through the lens correct flash exposure confirmation, 33% more coverage than TLA360 and NiCad pack and charger for the same price as the TLA360.

I wasn't aware that you could use the 5 pin SCA 3802 adaptor with the CT45, or rather it is only a SCA 300 system and therefore the 382 adaptor covers all the available functions from this flash. The additional cost(not insignificant) of the 3802 adaptor therefore buys nothing.
Can you confirm otherwise?
The CL45 provides full SCA 3000 capability
Colin

Sorry my mistake, I have a Metz Mecablitz 45 CL-4 which is the successor to the CT45 (The CT45 was my old Flash). I would not recommend the use of the former the SCA 300 systems such as the CT45 which is OK for older Contaxs models such as the 159MM but not for the ARIA because the possible leakage of residual electrical charges which could and have fried modern camera CPUs, especially those of the digital variety.

Thanks Folks,

I checked the Metz site and yes one of their adapters utilizes all 5 pins for the Aria/AX/RX.

So...does anyone know anything about all 5 pins being used on the TLA480 ? Or is it not worth asking due to a possible discontinuation ?

Sometimes I give a try to help a manufacturer, and having all the brands say the same on my equipment is a nice to have, if not a must.

Alan

I use the Metz 45CT4 and 382 adaptor with my Contax 645 (for over 3 years) and have experienced no problems.
Are you suggesting that I should not?
Or are you saying I should use a 3802?
What is a 3000C?
I believe Metz do not recommend the 45CT1 on "modern" AF cameras.
Colin

Of course it is no problem to use 45CT4 and 382 on Contax 645, you can even use sca 380 adapter on your 645 without any problem. As there is no production of sca300 series adapter any more, the only way to use old SCA 300 system flash such as 45CT4 on new SCA 3000 series adapter is by use of connection cable SCA 3000C or buy a second hand sca 300 series adapter.

You cannot use 45CT1 on current AF cameras only if the camera does not have x-sync terminal. Otherwise, there is no AF, no TTL flash output, no information transfer between camera and flash only.

Extracted from www.metz.de

What is the difference between the SCA 300 and the SCA 3000 systems?

The SCA 300 system processes analogue signals, whereas the SCA 3000 is a digital system. Furthermore, flash special functions are made possible through exchange of additional digital data (unless these functions can be adjusted on the camera itself). The flash units of the SCA 3000 system are backward compatible and can also be equipped with SCA 300 adapters. On the other hand, the SCA 3000 adapters are not suitable for SCA 300 flash units without further modifications. The only possibility to connect a SCA 3000 adapter is to the pole-mounted versions of the flash units of the SCA 300 system with help of the connection cable SCA 3000 C. However in this case it is no longer possible to use all of the functions of the given adapter.

ps. I use 45CT4/32CT4 and sca380 on my Aria, G1 and G2 with no problem.

Hi KS Tsang,
Could you confirm if the Metz32CT4 compatible to an older camera like mine a Contax 139Q ?
TQ

I am considering purchasing a (second hand) Metz 36 CT3 with SCA380 at appx. EUR85. Any opinion on this flash? Does it work properly on the Aria? What about the "possible leakage of residual electrical charges" mentioned in one of the messages? The alternative would be to wait and look for a Contax TLA30.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Giulio

Back